Initially I was going to write this as a private message to Dr. Byte, because of one question I need to ask, but I read a few things about hacks and hack attempts, etc., and so my question evolved into some relevant stuff......

As you might have noticed I am in the process of switching hosting servers....

I have read the advice on upgrading and switching servers, and I will certainly heed it. Which means I will upgrade prior to switching.

I have been reading about hack attempts, and all sorts of things, and I have observed that an upgrade does not protect one from a hidden file, or worm, etc. ---- therefore, all the updates in the world are no good if one has already been hacked (unless, of course, that owner is a tech expert and has confirmed that no traces of a previous hack remain in the upgrade)----not being an expert, and having had my 1.39A version hacked last year, I am wondering if it would not be a bad idea to start fresh, brand new, with a new 1.5 copy, and then adding again the modules (I only had two: fast and easy checkout, and better together).

After the hack was removed from my site last year, I backed it up, writing over the previous backup. This means my backup contains the exact same files as my present copy (eg, if there is a hidden malicious file, I have it on my backup)

But the existing 1.39A site appears to be fine. Should I upgrade it and then move it to my new server, or would it be wise to start from scratch? In my opinion, either way will be a pain in my %$#, but the upgrading option would certainly be less of a pain.

If you think I should upgrade the old version, or even if you don't, tell me this: I have moved all of my domain's nameserver's addresses to my new Hostmonster account. At this point, how do I access or look (or even use at all, for that matter), the files, including my old site, currently located on the old server? Can I use IP addresses instead? Should I put the old domain nameserver stuff back to where it originally was while I'm doing the upgrade?