Plugin Contributions

Default Changing my templete

I have my website all set up and been using it for months. I now want to change my template to have a different look. Currently my template name is "custom" and all of my overrides are in the name "custom". Please walk me thru how I can change my template (I am very green).

Do I download then new one first and just rename it "custom" then change the name of my old one to something else? Then aren't there going to be 2 templets named custom and is that going to screw anything up?

I just don't want to screw anything up and have to start from scratch again.

Thanks.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Changing my templete

Ok, well I got impatient and did it anyway, and I screwed something up... please help

Here's what I did:

1. I downloaded the new template

2. I went thru my old template that I had labeled as "custom" and changed that to something else.

3. Then I went in and renamed the new one "custom"

And everything got screwed up, I changed my website into the "Maintenance setting" but it's weird, when you go to my website it's you can see my old website with a few of the new colors. Check it out:

www.skinsensationbathandbody.com

I have been using the override to make changes but maybe I messed up somewhere. At first when I started using it I wasn't using the override, then I followed my steps and started, maybe I messed up somewhere, that's a possibility.

Thank you so much!!!

Plugin Contributions

In this situation, I personally would revert everything back to how it was before altering template folder names.
    So rename the new template to its original name.
    Then rename your original custom template back to just that, i.e. custom

Plugin Contributions

then ftp your files to your pc, install WAMP, load your site into WAMP, you mow have a mirror image of your live site on your pc that you can edit to your hearts content without 'screwing up' your live store ;-) search WAMP in the free addons area for a howto guide.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by picandnix View Post
    then ftp your files to your pc, install WAMP, load your site into WAMP, you mow have a mirror image of your live site on your pc that you can edit to your hearts content without 'screwing up' your live store ;-) search WAMP in the free addons area for a howto guide.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Oh, I never new that existed. I will try that next time, thanks for the tip

Plugin Contributions

In the future if you'd like to use/create a different template it isn't necessary to name it "custom". You can name it anything you'd like and, assuming you're using the overrides system, it will peacefully co-exist with your first template. Or many different templates.