Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default logging into admin page

I created a test site off my website called shop_update. Uploaded a copy of the website to it. Uploaded all the current revisions to it. Made a copy of the database and ran the update on that as per the instructions. Using the file manager, changed the name of the admin folder to XXXXX (not giving it out). I tried to go to that area using www.domain_name.com/shop_update/XXXXX It didn't recognize the folder. Changed the name of the folder back to admin. Tried going into it again using www.domain-name.com/shop_update/admin got the following error: [an error occurred while processing this directive]

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: logging into admin page

Did these symptoms exist when you had only the clean uncustomized default install? ie: before you uploaded your old database or any customizations/addons?

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Like the update instructions said, I downloaded a copy of zen-cart 1.3.7.1 and 1.5 onto my computer. I ran a comparison of the files using winmerge. All the files that were updated I wrote down. I also downloaded a copy of my website to my computer and ran a comparison against zen-cart 1.3.7.1 to see what files I would have to revise.

I attached a copy of my website to the current website using hostmonster's file manager. The file became www.mydomainname.com/shop_update so that I could test the update without corrupting my current website. I then uploaded all of the changed files that I had written down from the comparison of 1.3.7.1 vs 1.5. I did not do any customization yet but there may be some remaining from the original website pages that were not changed.

I did not try to log onto the admin site for /shop_update until after the database files had been uploaded and updated as per the instructions.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

So, you created a 2nd copy of your current site, but didn't test it first to be sure it was working.

I'm trying to narrow down the actual root cause of the problem you're complaining about.

If your "copy" didn't work BEFORE you applied any upgrade files, then it's important to fix that problem BEFORE proceeding any further. Don't confuse it with being an upgrade issue if it's not actually an upgrade issue.

Blank screens are caused by the existence of PHP errors, which would appear to be something wrong with your site copy.

https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/index.php?article=82

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Thank you, I never even thought to try out the copy of before I started transferring the files into it. Let me create shop_update2 without uploading the new files and see if that works.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

I'm mindful that the recommended approach to upgrading is to get a new 1.5.0 site running first, and then apply your customizations to it, not the other way around.

Part of that is because you also need to test that a fresh 1.5.0 install works on your server. Not because I think it will have any problems, but for you to see that it does indeed work fine, and that any problems that crop up after you start customizing it are actually a result of the customizations, and not the original code. Thus you'll be sure to test things in stages so that you know what exactly "just did" that broke it.

Plugin Contributions

I just created a copy of my website to shop_update2 When I went to it, it gave me an index of /shop_update2. When I went to /shop_update2/XXXXX (the admin site had been previously renamed), it brought me to the original website's admin page. I have not uploaded the database files to shop_update2, should I try that next?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

If it's taking you to the other site's admin page, then that tells me you've not updated the 2 configure.php files to suit the new folder you put the site in.
    FURTHERMORE, you need to also be updating the database settings in both of those files to point to the new temporary database you'll be using for the temporary store too.

That's another reason why installing the new version is the better starting point: it results in you having a working set of configure.php files suitable for that folder and its associated database.

Plugin Contributions

Ok, just to be sure I'm understanding this. I should delete the shop_update and shop_update2. Then create a new /shop_update. Install 1.5 on in it directly. Check to make sure it runs. Upload a copy of database. Then start customizing it. Once satisfied, copy it to my original website. Is this correct?

Plugin Contributions

You could go through that hassle, or you could simply edit the two configure.php files for shop_update2 as DrByte noted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast