Plugin Contributions

Default Is there a FedEx plugin to quote on package size and postal code/zone?

Hello Everyone,

I have a problem that I have not been able to solve. I ship rather large boxes and they are almost always a different size. Federal Express charges me by size and not weight. The rate varies depending on the postal code/zone.

I can not predict shipping costs because I do not know where the box will be shipped until an order is placed. In order to cover all possible codes I must build the cost into the price.

This is costing me customers since I can not be competitive with the big box companies who have IT staffs that can program for shipping to cover all possibilities.

All that being said, is there a method or package to calculate Federal Express based on package size and postal code/zone location?

Thank you for any help offered.

MM

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Is there a FedEx plugin to quote on package size and postal code/zone?

Along with the fedex plugin you might have a look at this

http://www.zen-cart.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=1826
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

Default FedEx says I need box dimentions for accurate shipping rates....

I set up the FedEx shipping module and it seems to be working fine. When speaking with FedEx, they tell me that I should use weight as well as box dimensions for accurate shipping quotes at check out. Box dimensions can have a drastic impact on shipping costs. One product that I ship that weighs 90 pounds and can go in a container that it 24" x 18" x 45". the cost to ship that to a given zip code would be $74. If I change that box to 24" x 19" x 45", the price jumps to $130. 1 inch...big difference.

I don't want to give the wrong price to a customer.
    How can I configure Zen to reflect a more accurate shipping quote that uses weight and dimensions? The FedEx shipping module does NOT ask for box dimensions, only weight.

Is there a detailed explanation on how to configure these parameters?

Thank you
    Bill

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: FedEx says I need box dimentions for accurate shipping rates....

Can't help you but a recent Fedex note said all tariffs for ground packages would be based upon dimensional weight beginning January 2015 even for the smaller packages.
    Rick
    RixStix (dot) com
    aka: ChainWeavers (dot) com

Plugin Contributions

This is not something that can be "configured"; it would need custom PHP coding, which would have to calculate the box size depending on the exact combination of products. In many cases, this will be impossible to calculate automatically, but will need to be entered manually after actually packing the box(es). If you ship one item per box or have identical dimension items, it can be automatable.
    For a starter, there is at least one mod in Plugins that will allow you to add dimensions to each product. Then you need to get that info to a shipping module which can use it. Ozpost (for Australia) does that as I understand, and might serve as a basis for adaptation.

Plugin Contributions

Ok...so your saying that it can't be done easily. I think what may work is to use one box size for all products that fit the criteria. I test calculated the shipping cost with a given box size using Fedex website and then the FedEx shipping estimator at checkout. Both were pretty close in costs (within a couple of dolloars). If it over charges, I can at least refud the customer the difference. Not ideal, but workable.

Plugin Contributions

Hi

Which FedEx module are you using?

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Is there a FedEx plugin to quote on package size and postal code/zone?

Hi Kobra:

Which FedEx plug-in do you recommend?