Mods - please leave this up as it took me two days of searching to find this post and there were many unanswered questions asking for the same thing!

Guys, I took this from the '3 separated category boxes' thread. It's a simple mod that tells your categories box to display only the subcategories of the category you selected (are navigating to) - enjoy!

Credit goes to Glen for this one - my heartfelt thanks - I can now get some sleep!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

In /includes/templates/your_template/sideboxes/tpl_categories.php, find this
PHP Code:
if (zen_get_product_types_to_category($box_categories_array[$i]['path']) == 3 or ($box_categories_array[$i]['top'] != 'true' and SHOW_CATEGORIES_SUBCATEGORIES_ALWAYS != 1)) {
// skip if this is for the document box (==3)
} else {
and add

substr_count($box_categories_array[$i]['path'],'_') == 0 or

to the if test to get this
PHP Code:
// subcat limit 2007-12-20
if (substr_count($box_categories_array[$i]['path'],'_') == 0 or zen_get_product_types_to_category($box_categories_array[$i]['path']) == 3 or ($box_categories_array[$i]['top'] != 'true' and SHOW_CATEGORIES_SUBCATEGORIES_ALWAYS != 1)) {
// skip if this is for the document box (==3)
} else {
The number of underscores in $box_categories_array[$i]['path'] indicates the category level, with 0 being a top cat.

The code can also be used to hide lower level subcats, with

$box_categories_array[$i]['path'] > 1

For more discussion of this, see the original thread Hide top category - Skip to subcategories.
##############################___
Glenn . . . Future Relics Jewelry, NY Faerie Festival
Categories Dressing, Images for Titles, Smart Backgrounds, Additional Img Titles, Ezpages Footer Columns, Model List...