Plugin Contributions

Default Questions about the "share widget" on product pages........

Morning all :)

On the product pages there is a cool little share widget where people have a facebook button and twitter amongst other amongst other nonsensical social netboring sites
    Now as you have probably gathered I am not a fan of any of these ridiculous sites however I realise millions of people are and like the idea of them being able to interact in this way, however I have a few questions:

1/ Do I need to customise any of this in any way? Do I need to change any URL's to facebook or twitter etc etc

2/ How do these things actually work? ie say someone clicks on the facebook icon what happens from there?

3/ At the moment my product attributes are showing underneath this share widget, what is the easiest way of moving this widget further down the page so that my attributes show before it does?

We are now in a live environment as of 10pm last night yipheeeeeeeee Just a few niggly things to sort out now such as this. Processed the first couple of orders last night and this morning and everything went very smoothly, very very very pleased so far with Zen Cart

Thanks in advance

Chris

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Questions about the "share widget" on product pages........

Anyone have anything to offer on this?

Thanks

Chris

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Questions about the "share widget" on product pages........

Hello Chris

Seems like you're using one of Picaflor Azul's very fine templates. Anne has "embedded" the share-this feature in her later templates.

These "like this, share this" buttons do not usually require that you have your own social network presence (with the exception of Twitter), because the "I like this" gets posted on the visitors' profiles.

These days, it is a good idea to establish a presence on Facebook, Twitter, Linked In, Google PlusOne, because that is where the action is taking place. Social Networks assist in "harvesting" people who are interested in what you offer, and more particularly, what you have to say about these offerings - so maintaining a Facebook page, or a twitter chat, or a linked-in profile, can be hard work.

These "Like" buttons will not link to your own Social Network pages (when you've built them). For this, you will need other links. We built a social networking sidebox for client http://sbxentertainment.com and now use it on many of our clients' websites. But you can embed these in any "common" area of your site.

Moving the share this element will involve editing the following file:

includes/templates/YOUR_TEMPLATE/tpl_product_info_display.php

If you are not familiar with editing php files, then make backups as you go...

There is a tutorial on how the tpl_product_info_display.php file is structured, and how you "shift" the elements around. There are also lots of posts on the subject.
    20 years a Zencart User