Hybrid View

Plugin Contributions

Default Small, medium, large versions of product images--I've gotten mixed messages

Ok I know that Zen Cart supports sm/med/lrg image sizes for products, but I've seen differing explanations of how to do it.

One is to use different folders (medium, large, and I guess the product folder is where the small one goes? Let me know).

One is to use _MED and _LRG suffixes to the filenames.

I tried the different folders, though I had also added the suffixes... anyway it didn't work. Neither did putting all the files with suffixes in the same folder.

Am I supposed to put the images with the same filenames (no suffixes) in the different folders by size?

What is the final, real answer here? I'm confused

Thanks in advance for your help!

(Oh, and does the same apply for the additional product images? (_01, _02, etc)?

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Small, medium, large versions of product images--I've gotten mixed messages

Your \images directory is the starting point for your small images, \images\medium is the starting point for your medium images and \images\large is the starting point for your large images. The _MED and _LRG suffixes are the default values; you can change them in your admin's Configuration->Images.

Let's say that you have a product with an image file named my_picture.jpg. That would result in you having the following files:

Code:
    \images\my_picture.jpg
    \images\medium\my_picture_MED.jpg
    \images\large\my_picture_LRG.jpg
    If you wanted to have another image for that product, you'd pick another suffix, like _00. Then you'd also have the following files:

Code:
    \images\my_picture_00.jpg
    \images\medium\my_picture_00_MED.jpg
    \images\large\my_picture_00_LRG.jpg

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Small, medium, large versions of product images--I've gotten mixed messages

Ok, but when I upload images via the products editing page it puts them in the TG_products folder--is that a problem? Should I be having them all in the base images folder?

Plugin Contributions

That defaults to starting with the base /images/ folder. but you can choose any of the subfolders of /images/ to put the file in when you upload it through the product page. (If you have used other than the regular default once, you should pay close attention to what folder you are using the next time, as it may default to the previous subfolder instead of /images/.)

You do need to be sure that medium images go in the /medium/ folder and large images in the /large/ folder.

TG_products folder
    Is this a custom subfolder you created or use for certain products? Unless you want/need separate subfolders for different groups of product images, you would be best off just using the base /images/. If you do use custom subfolders, they must be organized like
    /images/TG_products/
    /images/medium/TG_products/
    /images/large/TG_products/
    Last edited by gjh42; 6 Feb 2012 at 05:48 PM.

Plugin Contributions

Yes, it is a custom folder I created to keep the product images separated out from the other images I'm using on the site. I'll try that directory structure and see if it works. thanks!

Plugin Contributions

Since the principal function of the /images/ folder is product images, I would suggest you use the base /images/ for product images and make a subfolder for other images.

If your other images are for use in your template (like fixed images, box corners or backgrounds), they really belong in /includes/templates/your_template/images/.