Hybrid View

Default Gift Certificate E-mail & Queue Issue

Hi, I have read through many posts dealing with gift certificate issues, but i have not found any citing the specific issue I am dealing with. Apologies however if I did miss the information.

First, I am new at using the Zen Cart software. The documentation has been great and extremely helpful. Thank you all who have contributed such wealth of information! I'm sure I would have been pulling my hair had it not been available.

I am using the latest version of the software, 1.5.

As to the problem. I have been testing purchasing gift certificates via PayPal. I am using Website Payment standard, and so far it has been working fine. The issue is that the gift certificates are not showing up in the admin panel to be released. Also, and e-mail is not being generated to inform the customer (in this case me) of the purchase and gift certificate code.

I do have the Queue Purchases setting on 'True'. When I go to Customers - Customers in the admin panel, the customer's GV balance is $0.00.

The Gift Certificate settings are set to:

Product is Free: No
    Product is Call for Price: No
    Product Priced by Attributes: No
    Tax Class: None
    Products Price (Net): 15.000
    Products Price (Gross): 15
    Product is Virtual: Yes, Skip Shipping Address
    Always Free Shipping: No, Normal Shipping Rules
    Products Quantity Box Shows: No, Do not show Quantity Box
    Product Qty Minimum: 1
    Product Qty Maximum: 0
    Product Qty Units: 1
    Products Quantity: X amount
    Products Model: Gift-15
    Products Shipping Weight: 0
    Sort Order: 0
    Product Qty Min/Unit Mix: Yes

Am I missing something else in the settings? I do have the free shipping module installed as well by the way.

Any assistance offered would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Angel
    Last edited by angellionel; 7 Feb 2012 at 02:11 AM. Reason: Spelling in tittle

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Gift Certificate E-mail & Queue Issue

You would be far better off using the PayPal Express Checkout module, instead of the less-reliable Website Payments Standard module (which can result in orders not being properly shown in your admin if the PayPal communication that tells your store about WPS orders doesn't happen seemlessly, which appears to be your problem).

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    You would be far better off using the PayPal Express Checkout module, instead of the less-reliable Website Payments Standard module (which can result in orders not being properly shown in your admin if the PayPal communication that tells your store about WPS orders doesn't happen seemlessly, which appears to be your problem).
    Hi! Thank you for the reply.

I had in fact been using the PayPal Express Checkout module for most of the test transactions I made. The situation is the same. Plus I was having issues with the address not being passed back by PayPal when I made the purchase while logged on with my test customer account, receiving the error "PayPal has unexpectedly returned a blank address". This would not happen if the purchase was made while not logged on though. The transaction in that case would be completed.

I then switched to the Website Payments Standard module and the address problem went away. The issue with the gift certificate not being shown in the queue, customer's GV balance showing zero, and no e-mail being generated remains however.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Your problems with Website Payments Standard are most likely caused by the incomplete communication to your server from PayPal. This is easily confirmed by seeing that the orders themselves are not actually shown in your admin. That's because the orders are never stored if they don't correctly get delivered from PayPal, and thus there's nothing to show in the GV Queue.

If you need to use WPS, fix your IPN notification problems first. Related information: http://www.zen-cart.com/wiki/index.php/PayPal

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Your problems with Website Payments Standard are most likely caused by the incomplete communication to your server from PayPal. This is easily confirmed by seeing that the orders themselves are not actually shown in your admin. That's because the orders are never stored if they don't correctly get delivered from PayPal, and thus there's nothing to show in the GV Queue.

If you need to use WPS, fix your IPN notification problems first. Related information: http://www.zen-cart.com/wiki/index.php/PayPal
    I guess I am missing something then, because the same issue happens when using PayPal Checkout express, not just Website Payments Standard. O_o

I did check in my admin panel Customer - Orders - and all of the information regarding the purchases are there. The Customer Name, Order Total, Date Purchased, Status (which still show all of the purchases as 'processing'). And when I select Edit on any of the displayed purchases the relevant PayPal information is there.

I'll try the PayPal Checkout Module again.

I tested the settings again using PayPal Express Checkout.

Using the module while logged on again resulted in the "PayPal has unexpectedly returned a blank address" error message. The error does not occur when the purchase is made while not logged on with my test customer account. However, the error is not generated while logged on if the Gift Certificate address setting in the control panel is changed from "Yes, Skip Shipping Address" to "No, Shipping Address Required".

In any case, I'm still experiencing the same problem - no gift certificate is listed as being in Queue, and no e-mail message is generated.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

I'm unable to duplicate the problem you're describing. Purchasing a gift certificate gets paid and queued fine as long as the order gets entered in the system (ie: shows in the admin).

What addons have you got installed?
    Actually, please click Reply below and answer all the questions in the Posting Tips section on that page.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

I notice you said the "Product Model" is set to "Gift-15". Have you tried using uppercase "GIFT-15"?

I notice you said the "Product Model" is set to "Gift-15". Have you tried using uppercase "GIFT-15"?
    Oh man! I feel like a dunce.

I tried that and then tested purchasing a gift certificate with both PayPal modules - Express Checkout and Website Payments Standard - and they both show in the queue.

The only issue with the PayPal Express module is that it won't complete the transaction if the purchase is made while I am logged on as a customer (though it will take if the gift certificate setting is changed from "Yes, Skip Shipping Address" to "No, Shipping Address Required" OR if I make the purchase as a guest even with the suggested gift certificate setting of "Yes, Skip Shipping Address"). This does not happen with the Website Payments Standard module though.

You have been a life saver! Thank you for your help and patience!

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Glad you got it sorted out. :)