Plugin Contributions

Default How do I find State of customer?

Is there a way to get a list from the database of the States where customers live and match them to sales?

I need to pull out the customers who do not reside in Washington State - the sales tax rules have tightened up and they tell me I need to prove they don't live in WA or I need to pay the sales tax...

And yes, I am going to look into adding a sales tax module that will collect the local sales tax...

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: How do I find State of customer?

All you have to do is keep hard copies of the order generated by Zen Cart. In addition, the orders are stored in admin so, if need be, you can print them out.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by RescoCCC View Post
    All you have to do is keep hard copies of the order generated by Zen Cart. In addition, the orders are stored in admin so, if need be, you can print them out.
    OK, what you are saying means going to each order individually and copying information?

What I need is some way to code a search that will scan the DB and put it all in a list...Isn't that the purpose of keeping a database?

I'm thinking this would be a MySQL query - but I don't know how to set that up.

Plugin Contributions

What I need is some way to code a search that will scan the DB and put it all in a list...
    Why? The only time you would ever need the info is if the Dept of Revenue were auditing you. It isn't something you need to provide as part of your excise tax report.

Plugin Contributions

Why? The only time you would ever need the info is if the Dept of Revenue were auditing you. It isn't something you need to provide as part of your excise tax report.

No, I need it now when I file my taxes with the DOR - otherwise I need to pay sales tax for every order that I can't prove was not out of State.

I just got a "ruling" to this effect in an e-mail from them.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by OrcaSoul View Post
    No, I need it now when I file my taxes with the DOR - otherwise I need to pay sales tax for every order that I can't prove was not out of State.

I just got a "ruling" to this effect in an e-mail from them.
    You don't need a report. All you need to do is enter the total for out of state sales in section 18 under Interstate & Foreign Sales and then enter that amount under Column 2 deductions on the retailing line, and subtract it from the total to get the amount for the taxable amount column.

This assumes, of course, that you've been keeping some sort of books/accounting as you go along.

Plugin Contributions

You don't need a report. All you need to do is enter the total for out of state sales in section 18 under Interstate & Foreign Sales and then enter that amount under Column 2 deductions on the retailing line, and subtract it from the total to get the amount for the tax due column.

This assumes, of course, that you've been keeping some sort of books/accounting as you go along.
    No, I haven't kept a running book outside of the ZC store...that's why I need to be able to get a report from the DB.

Edit:[I tried just entering the totals - they tell me I need to prove these are all out of state sales]

Yes, I can go through this by hand - but if the data is in the DB, why not use a query to pull it out?

I can figure out how to write the query - but I need to know where the data is kept in the DB. There are customer fields and there are order fields in the DB, linked by various keys - what I need is how to connect the customers to the orders to the location - all of which are in different areas of the DB.
    Last edited by OrcaSoul; 9 Feb 2012 at 01:22 AM.

Plugin Contributions

Edit:[I tried just entering the totals - they tell me I need to prove these are all out of state sales]
    You would only need to prove it in the event of an audit, not when you file your excise tax reports.

Maybe there's an add-on for generating customer reports that contain the information you need. Have you checked the downloads section?

Plugin Contributions

You would only need to prove it in the event of an audit, not when you file your excise tax reports.

Maybe there's an add-on for generating customer reports that contain the information you need. Have you checked the downloads section?
    No, I hadn't thought of that - I'll give it a try.

I'm assuming that having gotten the ruling means that I should have this available if/when they do ask. It's best to know how to do this ahead of time...

Thanks.

Plugin Contributions

I'm assuming that having gotten the ruling means that I should have this available if/when they do ask.
    First, it's always been the law that you be able to prove the out of state sales. Not sure why you'd be receiving a "ruling" on the issue. And yes, you need to be able to produce the documentation if asked - and that ask comes in the form of an audit.