Default Dev Site loading extremely slow

For the past few months I have been working and modifying V1.5 and finally uploaded to a dev to test my site only to find that any page loads fast but then something is still loading and it takes approx. 6 seconds for the page to fully load, this causes additional images to display in full page rather then the zen lightbox as can be seen here. http://dev.mysurplus.ca/index.php?ma...products_id=20
    If one clicks on the main image right after the page loads it will display full page, if you wait about 5 seconds and the click on the main image it will display properly in the zen lightbox so obviously something is very slow loading. I figured it would be some add on that I installed so I created another subdomain and installed a fresh copy of the latest V1.5 and lo and behold it acts the same way. As seen here http://dev.nostik.ca/ the speed test also reveals that it takes about 6 seconds to load. I have 2 websites on the same server that load in under 1 second with a lot more content so it is not my server.
    I also have the same zen sites on my local and they load just fine without delay.
    Would somebody have an answer to this please ?.
    Thank you.
    Last edited by DrByte; 15 Feb 2012 at 02:29 AM. Reason: remove zenid -- NEVER POST A zenid IN YOUR URL!!!!

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Site loading extremely slow

Quote Originally Posted by windsurfer View Post
    I have 2 websites on the same server that load in under 1 second with a lot more content so it is not my server.
    Okay, so what exactly is different between them that would explain the difference?

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

You should probably remove all your custom-added tracking javascript crap, such as "TrackMyIP".

And also clean up the broken HTML you've got showing at the bottom of your page. Bad HTML can cause all sorts of incorrect behavior, including incorrect loading of javascript and images, etc.

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

The site at dev.nostik.ca is a fresh version of zencart V1.5 without any changes whatsoever. If you look at the bottom of the explorer page you will see that the pages load slow. The tracker on the site works with my 2 other websites i have up there and they don't slow them down at all.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Looks like your server's got a problem serving up the print_stylesheet.css file ... on both the sites you gave URLs for.

You can check it out yourself using tools like Firebug etc which show Network performance of the various assets loaded by your page.

Default Re: Dev Site loading extremely slow

Hi Dr Byte
    Thanks for the reply, i went and changed the name on the print_stylesheet.css and the site is still slow, what i did do was run a test in YSlow and it runs good and at the end it seems to get stuck on perhaps looking for the favicon for about 3 seconds or so. Could this be a problem and how would i prevent the program from looking for it ? ..... remember i haven't made any changes to the site and it is right out of the box.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

I do see the symptoms of slowness on your site, but I can't see how it has anything to do with Zen Cart.

Hi Dr Byte
    Thanks for looking into that and i checked with Yslow, pagespeed and couldn't figure out what was going on so i emailed my host and this was the reply
    " Hi Wil,

Thank you for your inquiry.

Our engineers have informed us that the issue was related to the MySQL module that comes with PHP 5.2.17 (which is used by both dev.mysurplus.ca and dev.nostik.ca). We have just updated this module and the issue should now be resolved. "
    Below is the result where it used to take almost 7 seconds to load the site we are flying now. Thanks again

#
    Domain name Size Load Time Average Speed per KB

1 dev.nostik.ca 48.95 KB 2.15 seconds 0.04 seconds

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 dev.mysurplus.ca/ 40.67 KB 1.9 seconds 0.05 seconds

3 www.nostik.ca/ 30.49 KB 1.68 seconds 0.06 seconds

4 www.mysurplus.ca/ 50.56 KB 1.28 seconds 0.03 seconds

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Thanks for confirming that the problem was a misconfiguration with the hosting server.

Glad it's working properly for you now.