Hybrid View

Plugin Contributions

Default Downloading Setup has me frustrated

I am setting up ZenCart (1.50) for first time to handle downloading MP3s. I have added the product. I have set up an Attribute for Download with a Value of MP3 and a radio button. I have uploaded the files and they show up with the green dot on the Attribute page. When I try going through checkout, they show up as downloadable purchases but then nothing happens. There is no link or email so that the customer can actually initiate the download.

Also, at one point in messing with the product specifications and the attributes, I turned on a little blue icon that said "Buy Now" instead of the quantity box, but I had no idea how I did that and subsequent work on the site made the blue icon disappear and I have not been able to find out how to turn it back on. I liked it.

Can anyone help me with either of the above two problems?

Colin

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Downloading Setup has me frustrated

Update: I did find under ALL LISTINGS a turn on/turn off the BUY NOW button. I turned it on and now all my products EXCEPT MY MP3s now have that button. How do I get the MP3s to have that button attached to their product listing also?
    When I say I turned it on, I mean that I entered a value of 1 instead of 0 for that setting. It offered some other numbers but I didn't know what they meant.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

DrByte, Thanks for responding.
    However, I have gone through those pages of instructions over and over, line by line, to see if I missed anything. All my MP3s are green dots, with download MP3 as the option name and value and redirect is on and file permissions are 777 and 755 and 644 as appropriate. They are NOT virtual products and NOT free shipping. But I still don't get a link to download the product when I check out.

Is there anything else I need to check on?

Colin

Plugin Contributions

Strange, but for some reason, even though I didn't change anything that I can think of, when I checkout, it gives me the download link!
    So that is a major relief!

However, I still can't figure out how to get the BUY NOW button associated with the MP3s. The BUY NOW button works with the CDs and DVDs I have listed, but not the MP3s.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Buy Now doesn't work for products with attributes.

I posted a small code change awhile back (for an older version of Zen Cart) which allows it to work if there's only ONE attribute, but if you've got multiple attributes on the product, the customer must select their choices before using Add to Cart, thus the reason the Buy Now button isn't offered.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

That is because the mp3s, as downloadables, use attributes. Currently, even an attribute that is always selected causes the product listing to skip the buy now and point to the product info page where attributes are handled. There have been numerous discussions of this fact in the forum, and some people have coded solutions to handle attributes on the product listing page.

...Or you could look for DrByte's code tip and implement that. If you locate it, it would be helpful to post its location for others.
    Last edited by gjh42; 16 Feb 2012 at 10:59 PM.