Plugin Contributions

Default Paypal checkout button

Hi,

I'm having a problem changing the Paypal checkout button on a client's Zen Cart site. I've changed the MODULE_PAYMENT_PAYPALWPP_EC_BUTTON_IMG declaration in /includes/languages/modules/english/payment/paypalwpp.php and it's fine on my local development version of the store, but after uploading the amend and the new image I'm not seeing any changes on the live store. I've double-checked the live code through both my FTP software and my hosting company's online FTP access and the change is live. I can't find anywhere else that declares - or overwrites - this constant, and I've used both my editing software and the Developer's Tool Kit to search for it.

I've tried the obvious things like a force refresh, and clearing my browser cache. Still no joy. Any suggestions/advice would be welcomed! The site is www.turnerscabin.co.uk and the button should be this version: http://www.turnerscabin.co.uk/images...ssCheckout.gif

Thanks in advance,

Karen

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Paypal checkout button

PayPal's TOS indicates that you should be using PayPal's buttons, served from PayPal's website, not copying them to your own site or altering them and hosting them on your own site.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Unfortunately their button doesn't make it clear to my client's older customers that they can use their credit card to pay... and apparently they're losing some sales due to customer confusion, so what alternative is available to me? As I understand it PayPal Express is the best option as you don't have the potential of losing order information during the process.

Plugin Contributions

Also, as far as I'm aware there are other buttons available on their server. But to my understanding I'd still have to change the button declaration, so my query still remains of why this change isn't appearing on the live site but is on my development server. If I change the code to another PayPal served button then surely I'm still going to have the same question of why it's not working?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

If you change the reference to another PayPal-served button, then the button will appear fine if the visitor has a working internet connection ... which of course is a reasonable assumption if they're visiting your live site over the internet. Your offline development server may have other problems if it's not actually connected to the internet or has firewall things blocking external access. But that's neither a Zen Cart nor a PayPal problem.

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

I've tried changing the button to https://www.paypal.com/en_US/i/btn/btn_paynowCC_LG.gif and it's still showing https://www.paypalobjects.com/en_US/...ssCheckout.gif on the live site, which is what I suspected would happen.

So sorry to ask again, but what am I doing wrong when I am changing the reference in the /includes/languages/modules/english/payment/paypalwpp.php file. Once again, this is working correctly on my development server, but not on the live server - the reverse of what you are suggesting.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

That tells me you've got an override version of the paypalwpp.php file on your server.

Plugin Contributions

Unfortunately their button doesn't make it clear to my client's older customers that they can use their credit card to pay...
    You could add a notice to the shopping cart page, (which is where the PayPal Express button appears), notifying customers that they can pay by credit card. The file to edit would be:

includes/languages/english/your_template/shopping_cart.php

And to the payment checkout page:

includes/languages/english/your_template/checkout_payment.php

Plugin Contributions

Thanks both of you.

DrByte: I've been thinking that myself but haven't a clue where it would be! Hence my frustration and confusion.

RescoCCC: I've had a chat with the client, and had discussed that possibility with them. They're happy to go with that route, so I'll follow your advice and edit those pages. Fingers crossed it all goes smoothly this time :)