Plugin Contributions

Default Full website upload and a few pages not loading

I recently had my hosting company delete my website and after retrieving the back-up from them of my website and database and re-uploading to the server some of the website pages don't load. These pages are under the sidebar links of categories and more information plus the menus across the top under the same heading of 'more information'.
    Check the link www.selfbuildplans.co.uk

I have checked the file sizes on the server and they are all correct.
    Could anybody help with this issue?
    Thanks.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Full website upload and a few pages not loading

You've got some sort of URL-Rewrite addon that's changing all the links to .html pages, instead of the actual real pages where they exist.
    And, since you've not got the the infrastructure on your server for actually handling all the server-side translation of those links to their actual pages, your site is broken.

So, either turn off the URL-rewrite addon you've got installed (this is the most recommended approach, since URL-rewriting is not needed for search engines to index the site), or fix your missing translation instructions in your server configuration, such as .htaccess etc.

Failing this, get your hosting company to fix what they broke when they deleted your site.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for the reply Dr.Byte.
    Please could you expand a little more on what would have changed from my hosting companies point of view so I can go back to them?
    This is new to me and 'fix your missing translation instructions in your server configuration, such as .htaccess etc.' I don't really understand.
    Thanks.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Why did they delete your website?
    Why didn't they restore the .htaccess files when they put the files back?
    Why aren't the URL-rewriting things working the way they did before?
    What happens when you change your ZC addon settings to turn off the use of the rewrite stuff added by the addon?

Consider this: If the site was working perfectly BEFORE they deleted your site, why is it not working properly NOW? They are the ones best equipped to answer that question.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

I was busy arguing over the new cost for re-hosting and went over my 7 day grace period with 123-reg.co.uk. Their server then automatically deleted my site!... unbelievable!..I then purchased the hosting package again and got it cheaper for 2years than what they wanted for 1year!...(Tip for anybody using 123-reg - let your hosting expire then simple re-purchase for a lot cheaper than the renewal cost quoted!)
    I then had to argue with them to get my site and database back as they said they didn't keep back-ups...another unbelievable!..and my back-up was August 2011.
    Eventually they gave in and restored all files in a back-up state for me to sort.
    I put every thing back how it was but had this problem and there is no .htaccess file.

I have never messed with the SEO URL add-on but changed the setting to false and everything is now working...
    Spot-on.

Thanks Dr Byte.