Techietom Guest

Idea or Suggestion How to install on a web site thats up and running?

Hi, I looked over the faq's like a good tech should and found bits and pieces of info. I have a client's web site up and running that was built with ASP.net ten years ago and it was never upgraded. My job is to upgrade and make it flexible. It is an old site and the hosting company recomends Zen Cart.
    I uploaded the files,changed the permissions,setup MY sql and tried to install. The web site is still using the files made with ASP.net and does not recognize the "/zc_install" direction. It could take a week to setup and the client does not want to loose sales.
    So I am guessing I should build it on my laptop, clean out the bugs,backup everything and THEN transfer the new site. Shut down the old site, do a fresh install and import. Remembering to change the paths to the data base and other areas.

Does this sound right?

Thanks

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: How to install on a web site thats up and running

If I understand the question, it's unlikely you would be able to import a database built for an ASP cart to Zencart.

A little more information about what you have in the old site would help us advise.

Techietom Guest

Idea or Suggestion Re: How to install on a web site thats up and running

The new web site will only use the pictures from the old site. Everything will be new even the data base.

I could not get MY sql to open the old site data base. It is an MDB. Which I guess stands for Microsoft Data Base.

So just for fun I got Open Office to open the MDB with its data base program.

Does this help?

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: How to install on a web site thats up and running

The essence of your proposed process will be the best method. Something like that is always recommended for upgrading or replacing a live site.

The only thing useful about accessing the old db will be exporting its data to a spreadsheet, where you can massage some of it into forms suitable for importing into the Zen Cart db. Look at something like easy populate or Apsona Shopadmin for help with this.
    Last edited by gjh42; 2 Mar 2012 at 08:07 PM.

Techietom Guest

Idea or Suggestion Re: How to install on a web site thats up and running

Thank you for your help.

I guess its time to giddy-up and ride-um cowboy!