Plugin Contributions

Default Slow Load (Time to First Byte)

Hi:
    Am experiencing an extremely slow load time of my e-commerce site at http://exclusivelyyours.co/Shop.

Analysis using a third party server monitoring (site24x7.com) shows that the bottle neck is the Time to First Byte loading which can be as much as 17 seconds but is always more than 10 seconds.

The main site at http://exclusivelyyours.co loads in an acceptable time, so this makes me think that it is a database issue

Any help gratefully received

Miles
    Miles Reid

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Slow Load (Time to First Byte)

For me it's taking several minutes just to get your store to respond at all.

Please click Reply below and answer all the questions in the Posting Tips section on that page.
    Also include answers to the following:
    When did this slowdown suddenly start?
    Who is your hosting company?
    Have you turned on the parse-time display? What are the numbers you're getting? https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/i...hp?article=105

Another FAQ article found by searching for your problem: https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/index.php?article=21

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks DrByte:
    My hosting company is Enom, and the domain is hosted on Linux. The slowdown is relatively recent - probably in the last 8 weeks or so, but this is hard for me to verify as I have been in Uganda for the past couple of months where internet connectivity is abysmal all the time.

I had not been aware of the "Display parse time setting": I note now that it was set to true, and I have set the "store parse time" option to true also.

However, values are not displaying on the storefront so I will have to find the code that needs to be enabled to show these values. Will get back to you when I have found out how to do this

Thanks
    Miles

Plugin Contributions

Attached is the parse time log: I hope that this gives you enough to go on. It had not helped that there was an invalid path specified in the logging options
    Miles

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

I don't see any attached info in your post.

On your live site, it looks like the code for displaying parse times has been commented out, and the code for calculating it has been crippled too.

The other article I mentioned has several useful tips worth considering. Esp point number 6 ... but don't just jump to that one. Consider the others too.

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Many thanks DrByte

I have managed to locate the code that displays the parse time for the queries, and have re-enabled it so that the data is appearing on the front page of the shop http://exclusivelyyours.co/Shop

I would be grateful if you could help me make some sense out of the data: certainly, the number of queries seems high. There are 584 products in 31 top-level categories - some with sub-categories. I note your comments about increasing the number of sub-categories to increase speed, although my client is not willing to do this too much.

I attach the last entries from the parse log, and the query times have reduced considerably due to optimizing images, and ensuring that there are no 404 errors for the images. However, the times still seem high:
    See page_parse_time3.doc
    Miles

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Your images seem to be taking significant time to load.
    And your site is trying to load images that don't exist.
    You might find some help here: http://www.websiteoptimization.com/services/analyze/