Plugin Contributions

Default safe mode off, but reported on

Hi,

I had installed v1.5, and all was fine; then I deleted all files from server, and reloaded a language specific version v1.5_ITA (Italian) - it'd be OT to explain why this choice.

Anyhow now when I go and try installing it reports safe_mode = on while I have loaded php.ini on the server in which safe_mode is off
    PHP Code:
    Safe Mode
    ;
    safe_mode Off 
    Also the phpinfo reports safe_mode off

Shall I go on, and install, or shall I contact the hosting?

Thank you.
    Last edited by keneso; 16 Mar 2012 at 01:53 PM.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: safe mode off, but reported on

Quote Originally Posted by keneso View Post
    I had installed v1.5, and all was fine.
    Good to know. That suggests it's not a hosting problem. And not a problem with official Zen Cart code.
    then I deleted all files from server, and reloaded a language specific version v1.5_ITA (Italian) - it'd be OT to explain why this choice.
    Perhaps, but it could be very relevant to why you're having sudden problems.

Any version of Zen Cart you obtain from any source other than the official Zen Cart distribution via SourceForge at https://sourceforge.net/projects/zencart/files/ is technically not supported here.
    They could have made any number of additional alterations to the code that don't match what the original official code actually does.
    Shall I go on, and install, or shall I contact the hosting?
    You can contact your host for help with why your custom php.ini changes aren't working for you, whether they're conflicting with something they've got configured on the server, etc.
    And you could contact whomever is officially supporting the ZC code you downloaded from someplace else, and report the problem to them so they can fix it.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Thank you for your reply DrByte.

The Italian version is downloaded from here, and by my understanding they do stick to the EN version
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/zenc...A.zip/download

The main difference in the package appears to be the addition of the obvious language files, and the language-currency add-on box in the header section.

The reason for the change of version was I had successfully installed the v1.5_ITA on the following domain:
    amberprecious dot com
    I had customized the template for it, and decided to upload that template to the domain which had the English version, when activating the template I had problems with it, i.e. it seemed as if all the site was with a negative margin-top, and only the navMain would be displayed with the wrong background, and basically a blank page.

I decided that maybe the currency-language mod , and/or maybe some other custom Italian file was creating the conflict, and issue, hence I thought it would have been less time consuming to upload the v1.5_ITA.

The php.ini was put there by the hosting company when I first requested them to turn off safe_mode for me.

I deleted all the v1.5_ENG files, kept the php.ini created by the hosting people, and uploaded the v1.5_ITA, nothing more/less than that.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Safe Mode should always be off, because it can interfere with more intelligent safeties than what safe_mode was originally created for. Safe_mode was made for much older PHP versions, but as of PHP 5.4 it's no longer even available.

Zen Cart can mostly work with safe-mode either off or on, but it's always smarter to have safe-mode off.

I suggest you talk to your hosting company about the problem.

Also, in phpinfo there are two columns: local and master. You want to focus on the "local" version, since that's what your custom php.ini affects.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Thank you, I'll contact the hosting people.
    php v. 5.2.17
    both local, and master show safe_mode off.