Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default mysql database help!

I am installing the new zencart and when putting in the msql database info I am unsure of what to put for the Database Host. I have read up but not sure of the ip or the address where it is located.
    Does anyone know where I look this up?

am using just host

Thasnks
    A

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: mysql database help!

In most cases, it's localhost.

Plugin Contributions

Have you CREATED a database on your Host Server?

This is done via your host "C-Panel".

SOME HOSTS (usually the cheap 'n nasty hosts like GoDaddy) host databases on a DIFFERENT SERVER from the website FILES, in which case "localhost" does not apply.

If by any chance you are with a "cheap 'n nasty", then before you carry on GO FIND A PROPER HOST...
    19 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

I tried localhost but didnt work. I set up a profile in my cpannel already. I use just host if it helps anyone explain what I need to do. OR does anyone know if there is something that will do it all automatically? There is a fantastico app on just host to install it but it is an older version.

Thanks
    A

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by rainbow_pixie_star View Post
    I tried localhost but didnt work.
    We'll be in a much better position to help you if you tell us what the actual errors are, rather than "it didn't work".

I set up a profile in my cpannel already.
    Exactly what do you mean by this? I've used many cPanels in my time, and can't recall anything about 'profiles'. How does this relate to your database issue?

I use just host if it helps anyone explain what I need to do.
    https://my.justhost.com/cgi/help/1162 indicates the 'localhost' is the correct setting. (it also tells you what to use for remote access, but you can ignore this, it is not relevent for zencart).

OR does anyone know if there is something that will do it all automatically? There is a fantastico app on just host to install it but it is an older version.
    You won't find anyone here that will ever recommend using Fantastico (or similar scripts) because in the longer term they can/will cause you all kinds of headaches and problems.

Having said that though, if this is a first time installation I personally don't object to using such scripts because they can make things a lot easier for new users to get things up and running. The downside is, by using them you will not gain the experience that I consider essential for store maintenance.
    This means what you may be able to avoid learning *now* (such as what hostname, database name, etc) to use, will simply come back to haunt you at some time in the future, generally when it is far less convenient. As such, I only suggest people use these install scripts IF they have problems with a manual install and would like to 'see' what a final installation looks like in regards to configurations/settings in order to get a better idea of where they are going wrong with the manual installs.

Hope this helps. If not, then as I stated at the beginning, please supply the error messages and/or any other clues so we can help further. Stating "it doesn't work" could mean anything.

Cheers
    Rod

PS. I suspect schoolboy is probably on the right track in that you've not yet created the database (just a gut feeling)

Plugin Contributions

The part that doesnt work is... Database Host

What is the database host? The database host can be in the form of a host name, such as 'db1.myserver.com', or as an IP-address, such as '192.168.0.1'. more info...

I am unsure what you put here and putting Localhost doesnt seem to work for me as otheres hav already suggested it might.

By set up profile I mean a Mysql database (sorry)

Plugin Contributions

It would be localhost (no capital L), but when you put localhost in that field, exactly what error message are you seeing, if any ? If no error message, exactly what happens ?

Plugin Contributions

OK... let's go through the routine.

BEFORE you even start the zencart install procedure, you need to CREATE a new database on the host server.

So... leave aside the ZC install for the time being.

If your host uses the proprietary C-PANEL interface, there will be a section in the Host Admin Screen that deals with databases.

Using this feature, you first CREATE a MySQL database. On my C-PANEL, the section looks like this:-

The FIRST little icon is clicked, and you then create your database. You will give it a NAME.

THEN... you need to CREATE a DATABASE USER who will also have a PASSWORD. (This feature will show on the screen where the database's name appears.)

You then need to ASSIGN the user to the database. (Again, there will be a place on your screen where you can ADD the user to the database.

You need to give the user ALL PRIVILEGES for that database.

-----------------------------------------------------

NOW... you have a valid database, with a valid user.

Your database will have a name, something like:

yourhostaccount_yourdbasename

AND you will have a USER for that database:

yourhostaccount_yourusername

AND you will have a PASSWORD for that user:

XYZ123455667778 (whatever you chose as password)

--------------------------------------------------------------

NOW... you can install zencart, using the ABOVE...

DATABASE NAME:yourhostaccount_yourdbasename
    DATABASE USERNAME:yourhostaccount_yourusername
    and
    DATABASE USERNAME PASSWORD:XYZ123455667778
    19 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Same issue - mysql issue - trying to set up on fatcow.com for zen cart - created the database on fatcow first.....

start the install of Zen Cart and get a error message: database error at (name)@cgi1801.int.bizland.net - what gives, have what fatcow gave me completely and have tried it a few times.... or does it have to do with using firefox as my browser? Daemonic possession by bizland.net ( just like ask.com???)

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by fasote View Post
    Same issue -
    If it's the same issue it will have the same solution. :)

Quote Originally Posted by fasote View Post
    start the install of Zen Cart and get a error message: database error at (name)@cgi1801.int.bizland.net - what gives,
    Hmm, is that the *actual* error message, or are you paraphrasing?

I can't seem to find any MySQL references that would produce the error message that you gave. You'll probably be best asking your host about this one (assuming that was the actual error message).

Cheers
    Rod

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast