Plugin Contributions

bug Downloadable products not showing download - but only sometimes

Hi,

This is our zen cart store.

We sell both downloadable products (music albums as .ZIP files) and physical products.

The problem we are having is with downloadable products, but only sometimes and apparently randomly. We have had plenty of successful orders of downloadable products without problem.

The problem is that sometimes when you add a downloadable product to your shopping cart, the product is added but not the download attribute. So the customer then gets charged shipping, and does not receive a link to download the product.

For instance, if I add two downloadable products (music albums) into my cart, it should appear like this (screen shot of shopping cart):

http://www.ilindy.com/iLindydotcomcorrectcart.jpg

But sometimes it will appear like this instead:

http://www.ilindy.com/iLindydotcomerrorcart.jpg

Notice how the second album is not showing as a download. If the customer proceeded with this cart through to checkout, shipping would be charged on that second product (when it shouldn't be), and then once Paypal payment was processed, they would receive the link to the first product, but not the second.

However, I can't seem to find any pattern of why or when this happens, or which particular downloadable products it occurs on. I have spent hours adding the downloadable products to my shopping cart, looking for a pattern, but to no avail. Randomly, a downloadable product will show without its download attribute - perhaps every 1 in 10 times? Perhaps more.

The downloadable products only have one attribute each, and I have hidden the radio button for that attribute (using CSS), for aesthetic reasons and to simplify for the customer.

For each downloadable product, the attribute flag "Default Attribute to be marked Selected?" is set at YES.

Can anyone shed any light on this issue?

Is there any way to force downloadable products to include their download attribute?

Is the problem related to how I have hidden the radio button? Is that radio button somehow getting unchecked?

Grateful for any help!! Let me know if I should post up any more information about our configuration.

~Sharon

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Downloadable products not showing download - but only sometimes

Quote Originally Posted by sharonmdavis View Post
    Is the problem related to how I have hidden the radio button? Is that radio button somehow getting unchecked?
    I think the first thing I'd do is undo the hiding and then test.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Downloadable products not showing download - but only sometimes

I think Drbyte is right. Unhide it and test it out. I've found that by hiding attribute inputs via overflow:hidden it will cause issues with passing the information. I'm not sure how you went about hiding it but I think the best way is to reduce your attribute div to 1px, but then you run into issues with attributes you actually want to see. Have you checked the HTML source code that is output from the php to see if your attribute input tags are there? I think the best solution is to add a new hidden tag for the downloadable attributes. I'm trying to crack that egg, I'm about 50% there just need some help with the last bits. Hopefully it will come together.