Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: 2 Domains point to one ZenCart

Quote Originally Posted by moltres93 View Post
    That shouldn't matter. I have 2 URLs that I want to use for different things but I want them to point to the same Zen Cart site.
    It DOES matter...

Are you trying to have 2 websites that are skinned to look different, that are using the same database?

or

You can simply "park" the second domain on top of the first.
    I have a domain that has several "other" domain names "parked" on it.
    If you type in any of these you go the one website.
    But... as Rod points out the domain name changes as soon as you click another link to reflect what you have setup in the configure.php files.

We need some clarification as to what exactly you want to happen.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: 2 Domains point to one installation

Quote Originally Posted by dgent View Post
    Im guessing he wants www.mydomain1.com/index.php?id=234 or whatever to also work when he types in www.mydomain2.com/index.php?id=234, but only have the files hosted on one of the sites and the other just a domain name.

As was as Im aware, you can't do this.
    Yes, that's more or less what I wanted to do, and if it's not possible then it would explain why it's been so difficult to find a straight answer.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

I have 2 URLs that I use for different publishing purpouses. They are variations of the same website name, designed to point to the same website.
    But, again I must ask: why?

Is there a particular business reason why you want two completely different domain names pointing to exactly the same content?

Have you considered the SEO downsides to what you're proposing?

Why are you so resistant to explaining the why behind what you're saying you want?

What's wrong with domain2.com being simply an alias for getting to domain1.com and the store always "being" domain1.com regardless what URL the customer originally came in on? ... cuz that's easily done by simply slapping a parked or addon domain into your hosting account.
    But to change it so domain2.com is branded differently visually and always shows as domain2.com is certainly way more complicated, and having a very clear understanding about the "why" behind your desire to do this would make a solution much more feasible.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by dgent View Post
    Im guessing he wants www.mydomain1.com/index.php?id=234 or whatever to also work when he types in www.mydomain2.com/index.php?id=234, but only have the files hosted on one of the sites and the other just a domain name.

As was as Im aware, you can't do this.
    Not wishing to be critical, but this *can* be done, quite easily, but the keywords are "types in".

Cheers
    Rod

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by RodG View Post
    Not wishing to be critical, but this *can* be done, quite easily, but the keywords are "types in".

Cheers
    Rod
    Not if its just a domain name and no hosting.

Plugin Contributions

Yes, that's more or less what I wanted to do, and if it's not possible then it would explain why it's been so difficult to find a straight answer.
    Considering this conclusion was made based on an invalid response, the 'more or less' is now even more important than ever, doubly so since DrByte has introduced yet another relevant factor, ie, SEO effects.

Then just wait until we start on issues like SSL encryption and PCI compliance, both of which will eventually have to come into play.

If all you need is the ability for someone to type (or create a link/bookmark) two different URL's, such as
    http://shop.vcsweb.com/index.php?main_page=document_product_info&products_id=4

http://ozpost.net/shop/index.php?main_page=document_product_info&products_id=4

And have them viewing a specific product from a singular store (as the example links do. Used with permission) then a CNAME entry will do (I think cPanel calls these 'parked domains'). Easy as pie.

It's the repercussions (if any) and what happens with the next click(s) that is to be considered, or, in your case, possibly not yet considered.

redirections and rewrites are also possible viable solutions (although I tend to avoid these as much as possible for personal/historical reasons).
    For many situations redirects and/or rewrites are the *only* solutions though.

Are you starting to see why this 'simple' request seems to attract so many wildly different responses, from 'easy' through to 'not possible'. It depends on *exactly* what you want (or expect) to happen, or putting it another way, *exactly* what is the problem you are trying to solve?

Cheers
    Rod
    Last edited by RodG; 29 Mar 2012 at 02:36 PM.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    But, again I must ask: why?
    I already explained why, twice..
    I want to use each domain for a different reason. 1 domain is longer but better describes the business, the other is shorter and more suited for printing on business cards and things like that. But I still want to use both. I honestly don't know what more you want me to explain. I've explained what I want to do, whether there are better ways of getting the same result is a different discussion

I just want someone to tell me if it's possible at all, and if it is, some instructions would be really great

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

I already explained why, twice..
    and indeed I've needed to ask why, twice
    I want to use each domain for a different reason. 1 domain is longer but better describes the business, the other is shorter and more suited for printing on business cards and things like that.
    Aha, now we're getting more info, albeit in drabs.

Is there any reason why you aren't willing to have the shorter domain "parked" as an alias which redirects the customer to the longer domain name?
    Given that they're both the same destination for the customer, and they're both the same business, and you've not said that there's any need to differentiate the two visually, I can't see any reason not to do as you've been advised by several people:

Add the shorter domain name as a parked domain to your account, and use the longer name as the actual real live site. Simple. Fast. Done in 5 minutes. Problem solved.

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for your advice. Like I said, I'm sorry if I seem impatient, I've just been frustrated with my host (involving other issues in addition to this one) and with my lack of zencart knowledge it makes it even harder to find a solution I can understand. It's not that I wasn't willing to explain the reason behind what I wanted to do, it's just that I was hoping for a quick fix and I didn't think the reasons behind it were that important. I now realise that's not the case.

What I didn't explain and probably should have is that there is a good chance that later down the track one of the domains might not be useful to me anymore and I'll want to just stick with the one domain. So I just wanted both domains to work so that if I decided I wanted to close down one, the other would still work and point to the same database.

...I hope this makes sense

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Yes, that's useful information too.
    And further confirms that parking the domain onto your existing hosting account so that it's basically an alias to your primary domain ... is the smartest most efficient solution.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast