Hybrid View

Plugin Contributions

Default 2 Domains point to one installation

Before you say anything, YES, I realise this has been asked multiple times. However I'm still yet to find a straight answer to my question. I have scoured the forums using the search, and looked through 20+ pages of Google search but I still haven't found a simple tutorial on how to do this!

Many of the answers to this question suggested simply redirecting www.mydomain1.com to www.mydomain2.com but that's not what I want to do, I want both domains working at the same time for the same shop.

I contacted my host (domain.com if that helps) and they suggested I download every freaking file onto my local machine and re-upload it to the new domain... not only would that be ridiculously time consuming but it would mean I have 2 seperate shops. I want any changes I make to appear on BOTH domains.

So can someone please direct me to a thread with a SIMPLE answer to this problem, or give me a set of steps I can follow.
    Thanks!!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: 2 Domains point to one ZenCart

I know this is not much help but I own 3 domain names and they all point to one site. All I did is call my hosting company and they pointed them all to the same site with no cost to me. I'm sorry that I don't know how they did it but maybe you need to look into a hosting company that will work with you a little more.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Out-of-the-box Zen Cart is not designed to be a mall. However, there are addons such as "multi site" that some people have had varying degrees of success with. That or others might provide you with something similar to what you seek

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

MultiSite won't work for me, because that's designed to help control 2 Zen Cart installations, I only have 1 I just want 2 domains to point to the same one.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Let's back WAY up and ask a fundamental question, which requires a lot more information than what you've shared so far: Why? What business problem are you trying to solve with your proposed solution which you started your posting with?

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    Let's back WAY up and ask a fundamental question, which requires a lot more information than what you've shared so far: Why? What business problem are you trying to solve with your proposed solution which you started your posting with?
    That shouldn't matter. I have 2 URLs that I want to use for different things but I want them to point to the same Zen Cart site.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by moltres93 View Post
    That shouldn't matter..
    Actually, it matters A LOT.

In fact I started my own response to you earlier today, but I ended up aborting it because it ended up having a great potential to overcomplicate things for you.

I guess this is why DrByte has taken the opposite approach of asking what business case you are trying to solve, so that he can provide a response specific to your needs, rather than my aborted attempt to explain all of the possible solutions & scenarios hoping one of them will fit your needs.

Although it may appear a simple question (from your perspective) an equally simple and valid answer may be that what you are wanting isn't actually possible. Hence the need to know what problem you are trying to solve.

Cheers
    Rod

ps. I suspect a CNAME in your DNS records will *probably* be what you are looking for.
    Last edited by RodG; 29 Mar 2012 at 06:05 AM.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by moltres93 View Post
    That shouldn't matter. I have 2 URLs that I want to use for different things but I want them to point to the same Zen Cart site.
    It DOES matter...

Are you trying to have 2 websites that are skinned to look different, that are using the same database?

or

You can simply "park" the second domain on top of the first.
    I have a domain that has several "other" domain names "parked" on it.
    If you type in any of these you go the one website.
    But... as Rod points out the domain name changes as soon as you click another link to reflect what you have setup in the configure.php files.

We need some clarification as to what exactly you want to happen.