Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: I have unwanted pages in google index, like products_all

Quote Originally Posted by nigelt74 View Post
    But did it have a robots_example.txt sitting in the root? does seem odd that your builder didn't set the default one though
    Yea it did have the example in the root folder, plus a blank one He did help me with lots of things,

But being totally green at this, there has been a million things to learn in a year,

Plugin Contributions

You can remove the urls in Webmaster tools, but they should eventually drop off, just remember it can take months for any changes on your site t show in googles index.

as to the robots.txt issue some people don't bother on zencart, having a blank one actually stops 404 errors being generated by the search bots when they look for it, personally I like to have one that gets rid of the pop-ups and the the zen id, as neither of those in my opinion add value to searches.
    Webzings Design
    Semi retired from Web Design

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by nigelt74 View Post
    You can remove the urls in Webmaster tools, but they should eventually drop off, just remember it can take months for any changes on your site t show in googles index.

as to the robots.txt issue some people don't bother on zencart, having a blank one actually stops 404 errors being generated by the search bots when they look for it, personally I like to have one that gets rid of the pop-ups and the the zen id, as neither of those in my opinion add value to searches.

Thanks Nigel, That's Great..

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: robot.txt and parameters

Um, by default Zen Cart already tells Google not to index the main_page=popup_image pages.

Perhaps whoever "built" your site for you has broken that normal functionality. A link to your site would be helpful.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Hi DrByte the url is http://bit.ly/ibqR2D thanks, would appreciate it if the shortened url was kept that way, cheers

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

As I suspected, someone has tampered with the /includes/languages/english/YOUR_TEMPLATE_NAME/meta_tags.php file and altered the default values for ROBOTS_PAGES_TO_SKIP
    You would also benefit from improvements made in v1.5.0 to canonical URL support, and more. A site upgrade would help that, along with fixing many other bugs.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    As I suspected, someone has tampered with the /includes/languages/english/YOUR_TEMPLATE_NAME/meta_tags.php file and altered the default values for ROBOTS_PAGES_TO_SKIP
    You would also benefit from improvements made in v1.5.0 to canonical URL support, and more. A site upgrade would help that, along with fixing many other bugs.
    Thanks for taking a look Dr Byte a site upgrade is something i have looked at but would really need a beginner guide to do it myself, cheers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12