Plugin Contributions

Default Why is it only calculating tax on shipping, not on my products?

New user here, but trust me, I've been through a lot of posts here before I decided to join and post this issue.

What I have done/verified:
    - New install, version 1.50, NO ADD-ONS
    - Shipping Module is on Table Rate, Tax Class = Taxable Goods, Tax Basis = Shipping
    - Zone definition set for Florida
    - Tax classes set for Taxable Goods
    - Tax rate set for Florida, priority 1, 6.0000%
    - All products have Tax Class of "Taxable Goods"
    - Using PayPal Express Checkout

NOTE: When in the products edit page, "Price Net" shows $8.00, "Price Gross" shows $8.48, which leads me to believe the calculations are working (6% of $8.00 is .48).

However, I have done 2 tests, and have found that Zen Cart is calculating tax based on the "shipping" charge rather than "order total".

I created an order of $8.00 with $6.50 shipping and Zen Cart calculated tax of $0.39 (6% of $6.50).

I then created another order of $80.00 with $10.50 shipping and Zen Cart calculated tax of $0.63 (6% OF $10.50).

If anybody knows how I can fix this, please let me know. Can't go "live" until it's fixed !!

Thanking you in advance. Rich

The store is located here if you want to check: http://www.ktsoycandles.com/zcartktsc/
    Last edited by RichInFla; 8 Apr 2012 at 12:38 AM. Reason: added link to zen cart site

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Incorrect Sales Tax Calculation

Just did another test with an order of $160 with $12.00 shipping and it calculated the tax at $0.72 (6% of $12.00) rather than $9.60
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

What's the complete shipping address you're using in your "tests"?

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

I am using my PayPal account, and the is PayPal address is "confirmed". The zipcode is "32934". If you need the full address, I will send directly to you, would rather not post.
    Thank you for the assistance.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Zen Cart takes the customer's address (shipping in this case, because you've selected Shipping as your Tax Basis), checks whether that address fits inside any zones you've defined in your store.
    Then it checks for tax classes assigned to your products, and then checks those tax classes to see if any tax rates are set up for that zone and tax class ... and applies tax based on that tax rate.
    It then does the same for shipping: checks what tax class has been set in the shipping module, compares that with tax rates for that class, and assess the shipping tax.
    The two are then added together and shown in the tax subtotal.

So, since your shipping tax is showing fine, but you say your product tax is not, that leads me to believe that either your tax class is not set on your products, and/or does not have a tax rate associated with the zone that matches the customer's address. Or you've got code that's been altered by customization, by addons, missing because of bad/failed uploads, etc.

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

I will check settings again. When editing the products, if the "Price Net" shows $8.00, "Price Gross" shows $8.48, would that indicate that the product has the correct tax class for that zone ? (Since I have set up the "Florida" zone with a tax rate of 6%)

Like I said originally, fresh install, no add-ons. I did, however, do as suggested and created "custom" template folders so I could change background color and text. I read that if I made changes to the original folders, any update or upgrade could overwrite my changes.

Where would I find the code to verify that it hasn't been changed ?
    Thank you.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Why is it only calculating tax on shipping, not on my products?

I think this problem has been solved !! In re-checking all my values, I noticed I had a "Zone Definition" defined for "United States" with a Tax Rate of "0%", which was a higher priority (2) than my "Florida" zone (1). Once I deleted the "United States" zone, it started calculating the correct sales tax !! Also found another post on how to remove "tax" on shipping charges.

Note to self: Don't set up a "Zone Definition" for any US zones UNLESS you plan on charging tax for that zone !!

THANK YOU !! We can now go live, barring any other issues !!

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Why is it only calculating tax on shipping, not on my products?

Glad you found the extra zone definition that was causing your problems.