Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Customer Profile Creation after purchasing via PayPal Express

Good to know. So for customers who create an account, they get the welcome email that I see (no password because they created it themselves). And customers who use Express Checkout get a different welcome email with a password. I'm curious what that email says in case there's any text that I want to customize. And I want to make sure my checkout instructions are telling my customers the right thing about not creating an account. Where do I find it to edit it?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Evidently you've not actually tested that part of your checkout process, have you? You really should.

It's the same welcome email that everyone else gets. Just has an extra couple lines at the bottom with their password in it.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Thank you for your help. I'm a total noob. :) When I tested my checkout process, I tested by creating an account profile FIRST. So when I went back to test the Express Checkout, any time I logged into my PayPal account, it automatically reverted to my account in Zen Cart (and I assumed it did this because I already had an account created with that email address). I thought I had tested both options. Apparently not. I guess I should have created a dummy PayPal account to test.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

You could also simply edit your existing personal customer account and give it a different email address that doesn't match your PayPal email address. Then you'll be able to do a test of the PayPal process where there's no matching account for that address.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Perfect! That's what I'll do.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    - if you turn on the setting I mentioned, then the account is set as NOT being "temporary only" and the customer is also sent a welcome email containing a password to allow them to login later.
    Could you explain what a "temporary only" account is? Are temporary accounts automatically deleted at some point? Is there anyway for a store owner to differentiate temporary accounts from permanent ones? I have set Admin>Modules>Payment>PayPal Express Checkout>Express Checkout: Automatic Account Creation>No and test customers without an account that checkout via PayPal Express Checkout are not getting the Welcome email so I believe they are temporary accounts. They are not purchasing gift certificates or downloads. The problem I am having is that if they try to create an account later with the same email that they used in the PayPal Express Checkout then Zen Cart then they get the error: Our system already has a record of that email address - please try logging in with that email address. Of course they can then have their password reset and emailed to them but I'd like to avoid that if possible as it's confusing and they were under the impression that no account was created at my store during the Express Checkout process. If I delete the temporary account then it solves the problem but I can't tell which accounts are temporary and which are permanent. I haven't found changing the status of the order or even deleting it to have any effect on the temporary account.

Plugin Contributions

Ok, I found this post: http://www.zen-cart.com/showthread.p...kout-in-v1-3-7 where DrByte says: "The account will still be created and remain available until the same customer does another Express Checkout purchase, at which time the temporary account will be deleted and a new one created." so that answers my first and second question. I also found in the database that the field customers_paypal_ec is set to 1 on the temporary accounts and managed to add that to the Admin>Customers>Customers table. My first time working with SQL but I managed to figure it out. So lacking a better solution I'll just manually delete the temporary accounts as they are created. If anyone has any other ideas for an automated method to deal with this issue I'd love to hear them. I'm also taking out the detailed invoice link in the order confirmation email as this doesn't work for the temporary accounts either.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12