Plugin Contributions

Default Starting All Over

I was able to have my files and database restored to the way it was prior to the upgrade but now certain areas still are not working in admin, I followed the directions found in zc_install yesterday and that turned out badly. Now I have once again backed up my files and database and I want to proceed but I am afraid its going to back fire.

I have installed a seperate zencart altogether so I know that all of the fields are working how do I moved info from my old database into the new one as it says in https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/index.php?article=98 step 4.

And how do I retain or transfer mod files into the new site without causing a conflict? Is it even possible?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Starting All Over

This is a slight variation on the instructions you're referring to, which may help you:
    http://www.zen-cart.com/forum/showpo...02&postcount=6

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

In the process of transfering the new files. I am using FileZila and I am confused about step c) replace all the php files/folders/images/everything with the new files (except the configure.php files which stay the same) in the instance that my current files are larger (not necessarily newer) should I or should I not over-write? Or should I make a note of the change and manually update that file?

Example: My live store's alt_nav.php file is 3,066 bytes and the new 1.5.0 file is only 1,811 bytes.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

I can tell you that you don't want any of the files from your old version left behind, except for those you've intentionally added and/or know exactly why you're keeping them.
    Don't judge it on file-size. There could be many good reasons for the sizes being much larger or much smaller in the new version.

The danger in telling you that, though, is that if you've not made a copy of your images (for example) and you go and delete them because you were taking me too literally, then you're in trouble. So, I'm assuming that you've got good solid reliable backups just in case anything goes awry.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by sammirah View Post
    And how do I retain or transfer mod files into the new site without causing a conflict? Is it even possible?
    I look on an upgrade as a good opportunity to rethink the site. Perhaps not all your old mods are needed; perhaps some can be replaced with newer better ones. Any you don't want should be removed before bringing your old db into the new one (if they had any effect on the db, that is.) Any you do want (and that didn't have an effect on your old db) can just be downloaded and installed anew on the new site.

The foregoing suggests I have a strong preference for leaving the old site files behind and not doing all that file compare stuff. That's just me. YMMV.

Have you checked the list of Confirmed working mods in Zen Cart 1.5? It's always at the top of this part of the forum. Start at the last page and work forward until you find the latest list and see if all your mods are on it.

Rob