Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default What's your favorite HTMLarea replacement?

I have two sites running Zen Cart 1.5.0... one is my dad's site which I'll hand the reigns over to him when it's ready, and the other is my own. I've tried two editors so far... CKEditor and TinyMCE.

TinyMCE adds <span> tags all over the place, seemingly for no reason and at random. Everything is surrounded by <span> tags. That gets annoying. I'd like to not have to go in and clean up the HTML code after using the WYSIWYG editor, you know?

CKEditor seems a bit better, but it puts odd spacing in things.
    Like a paragraph always starts off like this:
    HTML Code:
    <p>
    	Text starts here.... all that blank line space above is annoying.
    Why doesn't it start the text right after the <p> tag? Why the new line and the tab? It makes for ugly code. Maybe it makes me too picky, but I don't like ugly, weird, bloated, malformed, etc code. I like it to be formatted nicely and with a minimum of extra tags added.

So does anyone have a favorite editor that writes nice, clean html code? I'm looking for recommendations.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: What's your favorite editor?

I am using WeBuilder 2010 and have no issues with it. Would definately recommend it.

Plugin Contributions

Doesn't look like it's available as a free add-on... I found a website for it selling it for $50--not worth it. Anyone know any others? Preferably free?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

CKEditor is the arguably most contemporary choice.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Yeah but it sticks in so much whitespace, adding linebreaks and tabs into the source code left and right And if you manually clean it up then click the source button again to view it WYSIWYG, then click the source button again to see the code? It's added all that crap back in again!! And it also tends to pepper your text with "&nbsp;" tags. Also, I think it has too many options for my dad's site. All he really needs is the ability to make links, add pictures, and change font stuff (color, bold, italic, underline, size). I think he will be intimidated by all the buttons on CKEditor and will avoid making changes/adding things because it looks too complicated.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

There are all kinds of ways to tweak the CKEditor operation. All the documentation on its use and customizing the buttons and options can be found on the ckeditor website. The files that incorporate it into Zen Cart have nothing to do with the original CKEditor code at all. So, with your programming skills and the ckeditor site documentation, you can make it work however you need.

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    There are all kinds of ways to tweak the CKEditor operation. All the documentation on its use and customizing the buttons and options can be found on the ckeditor website. The files that incorporate it into Zen Cart have nothing to do with the original CKEditor code at all. So, with your programming skills and the ckeditor site documentation, you can make it work however you need.
    Ok, I'm willing to look into this... I found this page, for example: http://docs.cksource.com/CKEditor_3....put_Formatting which looks like it might provide a way for me to get it to stop putting all that whitespace garbage in there... however, I have no idea what file(s) to edit! I did a search with the Developers Tool Kit in the ZC admin for things mentioned on that page, such as
    Code:
    writer.setRules( 'p',
    But it returned no results... so do I need to get new files that don't exist on my website yet? I'm a wee bit confused. Those "programming skills" of mine that you referred to are weak and thin. I'm more of a designer.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

If you read the documentation that's included in the CKEditor addon-for-ZC download zip, you'll see that all the CKEditor files contained in it come directly from the CKEditor website zip, and are placed in the /editors/ folder. So, the changes you want to make to ckeditor are largely going to be done in that ckeditor folder. It has nothing to do with Zen Cart.

Plugin Contributions

Yeah I went and got the full ckeditor zip and uploaded it all and I'm still having difficulty figuring out which file to edit. I want to change the HTML output... they show me the code and what it looks like and I think I know what I need to change to make it do what I want... BUT I DON'T KNOW WHAT FILE THE CODE IS IN! And my Windows search folder contents feature is sadly failing me...

Plugin Contributions

Ok I've managed to reconfigure it to a much simpler button layout for my dad's site, but I still can't get the html output thing figured out. I posted on their help forums, but if you have any experience with doing this and could point me in the right direction, that would be good...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast