Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default my stores in western and my Thai script pages are showing as ??????????

Hi
    Im making a NEW site in zen cart 1.5

How do i get it in utf8?

Is that the standard now or do i still need to follow instructions for 1.3.9 to update it to utf8???

Please advise where to get instructions to for a new install ZC to utf8 so i can use Thai characters

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: ZC 1.5 UTF8 Collation standard now?

For NEW STORES, it assumes UTF8 automatically. http://www.zen-cart.com/forum/showthread.php?t=190424

If you are UPGRADING, then you will need to convert your data manually, using VERY SPECIAL CARE.
    NOTE TO ALL FUTURE READERS OF THIS DISCUSSION: If your store does not NEED utf-8 then you DO NOT NEED TO CONVERT ANYTHING. See: https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/i...hp?article=414

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    For NEW STORES, it assumes UTF8 automatically. http://www.zen-cart.com/forum/showthread.php?t=190424

If you are UPGRADING, then you will need to convert your data manually, using VERY SPECIAL CARE.
    NOTE TO ALL FUTURE READERS OF THIS DISCUSSION: If your store does not NEED utf-8 then you DO NOT NEED TO CONVERT ANYTHING. See: https://www.zen-cart.com/tutorials/i...hp?article=414

My 1.3.8 was utf8

I upgraded... chose utf8... but my stores in western and my Thai script pages are showing as ??????????

Im most upset what should i do?

Plugin Contributions

I am confused that article seems to be telling me to convert it to latin/ISO NOT to change it to UTF8

All the settings in my english.php ARE already for utf8
    My configure.php has NO MENTION of DB_CHARSET at all????

the problem ive got is the site wont display those characters. My sites in english but i need to display foreign characters on some pages. Its not a multi language site
    Last edited by creamcrackers; 24 Jul 2012 at 03:35 PM.

Plugin Contributions

You can add extra defines to your configure files, try doing that for db_charset.

Plugin Contributions

I should add... have a safe backup before editing anything relating to the database.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by maac2 View Post
    You can add extra defines to your configure files, try doing that for db_charset.
    Thanks - yes but the link tells you how to turn it to latin/iso.. not to turn the site to utf8

I now have utf8 added to the config file. English file is utf8. Its not working. What can i do?

There are a few references to latin in the database but not many...

Do i need to find/replace something in the database?

Its crazy because i had already converted my site to utf8 before i upgraded to 1.5 and it was working fine.
    Last edited by creamcrackers; 24 Jul 2012 at 11:41 PM.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by creamcrackers View Post
    Its crazy because i had already converted my site to utf8 before i upgraded to 1.5 and it was working fine.
    Please explain *in detail* what exact steps you took when you did that.

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Please explain *in detail* what exact steps you took when you did that.
    When it was a 1.3 site i did this http://www.srw2d.com/content/utf-8-zen-cart

To upgrade to 1.5 i couldnt get my head around how to upgrade. So what i did was get delete all the files and database on the server. Install a fresh 1.5 fileset with new database i deleted the config files and put the config files from my 1.3 installation in their place. Then i dropped all the 1.5 database tables and then, from my 1.3 database backup i imported the 1.3 database tables into it. Then i ran the zc_install database upgrade

Then i downloaded got the contribution files for a few things i was using like google analytics, seo urls and put them on the server

It works, but its not utf8

Last edited by creamcrackers; 25 Jul 2012 at 01:32 AM.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Yes, I seem to remember that you chose not to follow the upgrade steps. And here we are, cleaning up for you. Sorry if I sound frustrated about that.

You haven't posted your URL, nor your configure.php files. So, it's very hard to help you with specifics in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by creamcrackers View Post
    i deleted the config files and put the config files from my 1.3 installation in their place.
    That was probably a mistake.

I suggest putting v1.5 configure.php files onto your v1.5 site:
    Make a solid backup.
    Install a new copy of Zen Cart, letting it generate the correct configure.php files. Then use those.
    You might want to specify a separate test database to build the configure.php files, and then change the database name to point to your real database. That will save you having to restore from backup.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast