Plugin Contributions

Default Some products not searchable on website or in admin after 1146 error

Hi

This is my first time posting a question so please bear with me.

We have a website which was built and is hosted by a web design/hosting company, our website 'went down' completely in March, giving a database error 1146. The last backup our host had was from October 2011, so this was 'reloaded' and the website seemed fine, but, the problem is that any products we uploaded onto the website between October 2011 and March 2012 will not come up in a search on the website, and can not be found in the products section of our admin (so we can't edit the product). Products will only be found if you physically look through the New Products section as they are no longer in their catagories (or as I say, searchable)

The only workaround I have found is if I go into Admin > Tools > Specials and all our products can be found in here, so if I put a product on as a Special, I can edit the product in terms of the product description and pictures etc. but can not edit attributes or delete that product completely.

These products are in Master Catagory #0, I searched this and the fix was to go into Admin > Tools > Store Manager and Reset ALL Products Master Categories ID but this didn't work.

As an example, we have shoes called 'Laura' they are at the bottom of New Products (uploaded between Oct-Mar) but will not show up in search or admin - http://www.glitzy-n-glamorous.com/products_new.html

Sorry for the long question, hoping someone can help.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Some products not searchable on website or in admin after 1146 error

As the product data, customer data and much of the other data is stored in the database, the minute you roll back to an old copy, you LOSE everything added to the database from the point the old copy was made.

There is no way to recover this (unless your host made another backup JUST before he loaded the old one.

A backup is a "snapshot" of the database at the very point in time when that backup was made. That's why we host ALL our sites with a webhost who has a system that AUTOMATICALLY backs up databases every 6 hours.

That means that if one of our databases was to crash, the MOST amount of data we would lose would be any new data added within six hours of it crashing.
    19 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Some products not searchable on website or in admin after 1146 error

Thanks for your reply.

I'm not sure where that leaves us, because the products are in limbo, they are on the website but I can't access them. I think I would rather they weren't there at all so I could re-upload them and be able to edit them as normal. I'm having to reupload products and now they are being duplicated on the website (in New products) people are able to buy products that we no longer have, because I can't get to them to edit or delete them.

Plugin Contributions

In order to provide a definitive answer, we would need to know EXACTLY how the database was dealt with, in your attempts to put things right. In general, the rule is this:

1. The minute you see a database error, and if if prevents you from opening your admin area and/or your store. you should create a backup of the database as it is at the instant you discover the error(s).

2. That backup is installed onto a NEW installation of the file software, making sure that the version of the software is identical to that being used on the "faulty" store.

3. All diagnostics, tinkering and tweaking is done on the NEW install (leaving the original site untouched), until you find the issue and fix it on the CLONED site.

4. When you have fixed the CLONE, you can apply the repair regimen to the the live site (making another FULL BACKUP before you start).

As we do not know HOW the database was "worked on" in your attempts to restore behaviour, or what errors are/were being reported by your server, we cannot advise further...
    19 years a Zencart User