Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

help question Add Products to Categories by Keywords? How? Plug-in available?

There is a plug-in that I loved, Add Products to Categories by Keywords, and I used it on my old 1.3.9h sites, and it was a breeze to use.
    I know it says that it's only compatible up to 1.3.9, but I figured I'd give it a shot with 1.5.0. No dice
    Is there a similar plug in that will allow me to search my products using a keyword, have it find all products that have that keyword in the description or Name, and allow me to copy products that match my keyword to an additional category?

For instance the keyword: Celtic. It would search all my products names and descriptions for the word Celtic, and return a list that I can check off, and then choose the category I'd like them copied to?
    Or, is this already built into 1.5.0 and I just can't figure it out ??

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Add Products to Categories by Keywords? How? Plug-in available?

No it is not built in to my knowledge. 1.5 uses a different method of registering modules than previous versions. There is plenty of discussion about this on the forum but basically in this case you might be able to use the 'Admin Page Registration' menu item that appears in the admin access menu.

That may or may not get the module to 'work'. But beyond working you might like to get someone to look at it and comment on whether it matches the security standards of 1.5.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for the reply niccol.
    I did a lot of searches on the forum. Maybe I am using the wrong keywords in my search ? LOL
    I see the Admin Page Registration area you mentioned, but not sure what to enter there to get it to find the files I uploaded.

Page Key (e.g. myModPageName)
    Page Name (e.g. BOX_MY_MOD_PAGE_NAME)
    Page Filename (e.g. FILENAME_PAGE_NAME)
    Page Parameters (e.g. option=1 or, more usually, leave blank)

(The rest are pretty self explanatory LOL).

I searched everywhere for information about the Admin Page Registration, here in the forums, even the wiki, and can find no help whatsoever.
    Could you nudge me in the right direction?

Thanks so much !
    Kathleen
    Last edited by Bewitching; 11 Jun 2012 at 01:53 AM.

Plugin Contributions

Idea or Suggestion Add "Products to Categories by Keywords" plug-in comp w/ v1.5.0 please?

(If this post doesn't belong here, please accept my apologies. I didn't know where else to get help with an outdated plug-in.)

Can someone look at this plug-in, Add Products to Categories by Keywords, and see if it's compatible with the new standards of 1.5.0? And if not, fix it so it is?

There is a plug-in that I loved, Add Products to Categories by Keywords, and I used it on my old 1.3.9h sites, and it was a breeze to use.
    I know it says that it's only compatible up to 1.3.9, but I figured I'd give it a shot with 1.5.0. No dice
    Is there a similar plug in that will allow me to search my products using a keyword, have it find all products that have that keyword in the description or Name, and allow me to copy products that match my keyword to an additional category?

For instance the keyword: Celtic. It would search all my products names and descriptions for the word Celtic, and return a list that I can check off, and then choose the category I'd like them copied to?

Someone mentioned to me using the Admin Page Registration area to see if I could get it working that way, but I am at a loss on the page.
    I have no ides what to put in the first four rows, and I searched extensively for anything on the Admin Page Registration, and came up empty.

Thanks in advance,
    Kathleen

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Add "Products to Categories by Keywords" plug-in comp w/ v1.5.0 please?

So how would you say this works differently than using the search field in Catalog >> Categories/Products for 1.5.0? It will search descriptions as well.
    You may have to copy the items one by one.
    Last edited by dbltoe; 11 Jun 2012 at 05:19 AM.

Plugin Contributions

Page Key - can be what you want but needs to be unique
    Page Name - look in the language file included in the package in this case BOX_KEYCATEGORIES
    Page Filename - again in the language files of the package in this case FILENAME_KEYCATEGORIES
    Page Parameters (e.g. option=1 or, more usually, leave blank) - leave this blank

I think that is it

Plugin Contributions

Nick/niccol,
    YOU ARE THE BOMB!
    Thank you SO much for your help. It worked like a charm !
    (For future reference, is there a page or post somewhere that explains how that Admin Page Registration deal works. I can't be the ONLY one that is clueless about it! LOL)
    BTW, do you have a donation page somewhere ? Can I use your ClearRight, Other Payments page, or can you PM me your e-mail address so I can send you a little something via PayPal?

Anyways, thanks again for your guidance !!!
    Kathleen

Plugin Contributions

No need for a donation :-) Glad it worked for you.

The documentation on Admin Registration is a bit light, in my opinion. I think that this is due to the fact that I think that feature will be removed once modules have been upgraded to work properly with version 1.5 We are in a kind of transitional period at the moment. As modules are updated fully the page will be registered when the module is installed.

As I say, that method 'makes things work' but does not necessarily mean that they are up to the security standards of 1.5. A quick glance at the mod suggested to me that there weren't any issues. But that check was undertaken in about 20 seconds and there was a vodka and tonic in my hand so it comes with no guarantees :-) For other people reading this it is important to understand that 'making it work' is not always the same as 'making it work the way it should' .

Quote Originally Posted by Bewitching View Post
    Nick/niccol,
    YOU ARE THE BOMB!
    Thank you SO much for your help. It worked like a charm !
    (For future reference, is there a page or post somewhere that explains how that Admin Page Registration deal works. I can't be the ONLY one that is clueless about it! LOL)
    BTW, do you have a donation page somewhere ? Can I use your ClearRight, Other Payments page, or can you PM me your e-mail address so I can send you a little something via PayPal?

Anyways, thanks again for your guidance !!!
    Kathleen

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Add "Products to Categories by Keywords" plug-in comp w/ v1.5.0 please?

Thanks for the reply dbltoe!
    I had also posted this here: Add Products to Categories by Keywords? How? Plug-in available?
    It may not be the "right" way to go about it, but it works for me, using the Admin Page Registration area to register the plug-in.

Would you, or anyone else in this forum, be interested in looking at this plug-in and making it properly work with 1.5.0's new security rules?
    I've tried contacting the person who made it originally, to no avail.

Thanks for answering me, I really appreciate it !
    Kathleen
    Last edited by Bewitching; 12 Jun 2012 at 01:43 AM.

Plugin Contributions

Well, thank you just the same. Your help has saved me HOURS of needless one-by-one copying of products to categories.
    And, enjoy that vodka tonic!
    Last edited by Bewitching; 12 Jun 2012 at 01:41 AM. Reason: spelling errors :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast