Quote Originally Posted by pixelpadre View Post
Sometimes I scare myself.
LOL, no surprise really, you also appear to be talking to yourself :)

My first comment.... Your host gave you the MY* files. Egads. They really were trying to make things hard for you. I don't think I've ever herard of a host doing this to one of their customers before. This makes them very clever (they knew which files to give you), or very stupid (they have no idea how to export an SQL database).

I will also comment that I give you a *lot* of credit for figuring out how to do what you did, but will also add that you also just got lucky. These files have had several changes to their format over the years, and the general rule is that they will only work with the same DB version that they were created with, so things could have easily gone bad for you (I wonder if your host knew that?)

Quote Originally Posted by pixelpadre View Post
I still question why ZC didnt warn me before overwriting existing database
It does give a warning. I don't know how you would have missed it. The upgrades give two options, create a new DB or update the existing one. Guess which one you selected?

Don't kick yourself too hard though, I've done exactly the same thing myself ... (foolishly?) expecting it to actually create a complete new database even though I gave it the same credentials as the existing database. Doh!

It is usually around this time that many people first learn the importance of doing thier own *full* backups before attemtping *any* upgrade of any kind. I do hope that you have now learned this very valuable lesson. If so, you'll also appreciate how this mistake is going to be of significant benefit to you in the long run, so consider it as good learning experience (true of any mistake really. Nothing wrong with making them, as long as you learn from it. Well, that's my philosophy, as such, I never really fear making a mistake. I guess its also how I've managed to learn so much about many things... its because I've messed up a lot, and hopefully will continue to do so.

• Cheers
    Rod