Plugin Contributions

help question Nothing installs

Have downloaded Version 1.3 Series. The link for the web page listed to install: "http://localhost/{zen-cart-directory}/zc_install/" does not work. Can't install! Am new to this!

Cape Town & London (depends on the season)
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Nothing installs

Are you trying to install on a remote server, or your own machine?

Plugin Contributions

Also suggest that you download and install V1.5 rather than V1.3.x.. It'll save you a needless update.

Cheers
    Rod

Plugin Contributions

Must use 1.3.8 because that matches the system capabilities on the Mac computer being used for this. Am trying to install to an Apple computer but the URL listed in the INSTALL text does not exist, so can't get anything working. Supposed to go to the link below and the software begins to install from the Zen Cart website. Without the appropriate link, can't install.

Quote Originally Posted by kikikloe View Post
    Have downloaded Version 1.3 Series. The link for the web page listed to install: "http://localhost/{zen-cart-directory}/zc_install/" does not work. Can't install! Am new to this!

Plugin Contributions

Must use 1.3.8 because that matches the system capabilities on the Mac computer being used for this.
    I know that you are new to this (you told us that in your first message), but *please* don't go making stuff up. Besides, even if this *were* a true statement you MUST NOT RUN V1.3.8. you *WILL* regret it.

Am trying to install to an Apple computer but the URL listed in the INSTALL text does not exist,
    It appears that you are new to computers, not just Zencart. Am I correct? (This is not meant as a 'put down', but I am trying to guage what your current skill level actually is so that we can determine the best way to help you).

so can't get anything working. Supposed to go to the link below and the software begins to install from the Zen Cart website. Without the appropriate link, can't install.
    To start you on your way,
    The zencart software isn't actually 'installed from the Zen Cart website', and a URL is a *global* standard that is consistant regardless of the computer or its operating system.

One of the next, and possibly the most important things we need to know from you before we can even start this journey, is the question that has already been asked by fairestcape, namely

There will be a *lot* more questions we'll need to ask you after you have responded to this one, but those questions will depend on your response to this one.
    If I/w try to cover both situations we will just end up causing you confusion that you don't need.

Cheers
    Rod.

Plugin Contributions

OK. I understand there must be problems with 1.3.8. Is 1.3.7 more stable? Am installing locally on an apple computer, but can set up on remote server if that is easier. Already have SSL and dedicated IP.

Quote Originally Posted by RodG View Post
    I know that you are new to this (you told us that in your first message), but *please* don't go making stuff up. Besides, even if this *were* a true statement you MUST NOT RUN V1.3.8. you *WILL* regret it.

It appears that you are new to computers, not just Zencart. Am I correct? (This is not meant as a 'put down', but I am trying to guage what your current skill level actually is so that we can determine the best way to help you).

To start you on your way,
    The zencart software isn't actually 'installed from the Zen Cart website', and a URL is a *global* standard that is consistant regardless of the computer or its operating system.

One of the next, and possibly the most important things we need to know from you before we can even start this journey, is the question that has already been asked by fairestcape, namely

There will be a *lot* more questions we'll need to ask you after you have responded to this one, but those questions will depend on your response to this one.
    If I/w try to cover both situations we will just end up causing you confusion that you don't need.

Cheers
    Rod.

Plugin Contributions

OK. I understand there must be problems with 1.3.8. Is 1.3.7 more stable?.
    Please, for you own sake and sanity, use the latest release only.

Am installing locally on an apple computer,
    Does your local computer have Apache, PHP and MySQL installed?

If not, this is the 1st thing you need to do in order to install/run zencart locally.

but can set up on remote server if that is easier.
    Generally speaking, yes it is easier, if for no other reason than the remote server will already have Apache/PHP/MySQL installed and running.

Now having said that, if you do have these running on your local machine already then it is best to install/test/develop locally and transfer the site over to a 'live' server when you are happy with your creation. Working 'locally' is a *lot* quicker than doing the same things remotely.

FYI, you have *probably* seen mention of "WAMP" & "LAMP" during your research. These are acronyms for "Windows, Apache, MySQL & PHP" and "Linux Apache, MySQL & PHP". These are 'packages' created by various parties that allow end users to install all of this server software in one fell swoop rather than each package separately. I'm not sure what the deal is with Apple based servers, but I'm of the impression that these are *nix based, as such, the LAMP installs should work just fine.

There are some differences between a Windows/Linux zencart installation, but this is something to be discussed at a later stage, like after you have installed *AMP

Already have SSL and dedicated IP.
    Forget about those for the time being. They are only going to make things even more difficult for you to get things installed and working.

When you have a working server with Apache, MySql and PHP for your development purposes (doesn't matter if its local or remote) then, and only then should you consider installing zencart itself. If you have trouble setting Apache, etc up I'd suggest you find a forum more suited to these things because they are well out of the scope for zencart support. You need this groundwork first.

You can then come back here and we'll be able to help you with the actual zencart stuff.

Cheers
    Rod

Cape Town & London (depends on the season)
    Plugin Contributions

When you say you have "SSL and a dedicated IP", I have to infer that you already have webserver hosting somewhere.

HOPEFULLY it is NOT with GoDaddy, 1&1, FastHosts or other cruddy "cheap 'n nasty" webshost like these. If it is, then cancel the service, and go look for a PROPER host. eCommerce is sophisticated stuff and needs a LOT of attention to certain server settings. The "Cheap 'n Nasty" hosts don't apply the required levels of refinement, and can end up being extremely expensive.

So, assuming you have some webspace out there; all you need do is install zencart on that server. It does not matter if your computer is Apple, Oranges, Pears, Windoze, Acer, Dell, Peaches, Bananas or whatever other concotions you care to mention - as long as it runs the latest browser and internet apps, your site will show.

And on a fresh install, load zencart 1.5.

The WHOLE process will take about half an hour. (yes, even with an apple!)