Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Hi in need of some help.

Hi guys..

I want to start an online store on my own..

I know first few steps.

Getting a web designed, getting a domain, getting a hoster.

Then what now?

What do i do such that people may register at my website?

What do i do such that people may purchase stuff at my website?

What do i do with the shipping?

What do i do if i don't have an office but i don want my residential place revealed?

I have been searching google, but answers are all quite confusing.

I am sorry if i am sounding dumb, but any help, like a referral to a useful link regarding the questions above will be a great help

Thanks.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Hi in need of some help.

Have you installed Zen Cart and played around with it? Doing so will answer some of your questions.
    Mary Ellen
    I came; I saw; I Zenned
    Taking over the world... one website at a time
    Make sure brain is engaged before putting mouth in gear... or fingers to keyboard.

Holzheimer
    Fan Odyssey

Plugin Contributions

I don't know if you have an existing retail store (brick & mortar). From your questions I suspect that you don't. I think you're doing this backwards. The first thing you need to do is research. What product(s) can you sell that you have a reasonable chance of getting traffic, with a reasonable amount of competition, with suppliers that will sell you the product wholesale, that has decent margins when you sell at a price that is competitive. What I'm getting at is you need a business plan. Once you know what you are going to sell then you can get the website designed and implemented with the needs of you target market in mind. Like Mary Ellen said, if you want to get some experience with Zencart then install it with the demo products and play. If you've already done this then I apologize but I've seen way too many people that think if they stand up a website people will magically line up to buy their products.

Plugin Contributions

Zencart is software that allows you to run a professional, online webshop.

You start by finding a GOOD web-host. KEEP AWAY from GoDaddy, 1&1, FastHosts, and all other cheap web-hosts.

Some reasonably good hosts are listed HERE:http://www.zen-cart.com/content.php?...atible-Hosting

If you do not have a DOMAIN NAME yet, these hosts will probably help you to register a DOMAIN NAME, and will then set up a hosting account.

When you have HOSTING, and a website DOMAIN attached to that hosting, it is time to load zencart. Your host (if they are a good one) might do this for you. In MOST cases, you have to do it yourself, or find someone who can help you.

When zencart is loaded onto your hosting service (and your domain), you have (in essence) a "working" webshop.

Then you come back to the forum for more advice.
    20 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

HI guys, really thank you all for the thoughtful replies.

I have a roughly planned out business plan,but not a concrete one yet. Few days later i will be traveling abroad to look for suppliers and further consolidate my ideas.

Thus during this free period, i want to learn about everything else that i can. Such as zencart,getting traffic, advertising,online privacy, hired mail box and ect. So if i get my hands on my products, i can immediately put them online and deal with other problems.

I din't know a bit about designing, coding and everything else. Thus i was staying at home studying for the past few weeks about them.

But i was flooded with so much information online that i literally felt drowned, hence i came here and hoping someone will tell me the proper way of setting up an online store, looking for an easy way out.

I thought a lame thread like this will be just ignored. Really thanks for the reply.

Plugin Contributions

HI just a question.

I was doing some research and watching some tuts. most of the authors recommended host gator, what do you say?

And some suggested that it is better to have a domain name bought from one site and host it on another site? Is it trully better?

And, what is the take in hostmonster and bluehost that makes you think that they are much better than others?

Will appreciate your reply, thanks.

Plugin Contributions

I strongly suggest registering the domain yourself. There are lots of registrars available. I can PM you the name of the one I use if you like.

I feel this way because I own several domains. Many were registered through a hosting service I had for a long time. When the hosting service went out of business suddenly and unexpectedly, I not only lost most of the content of the sites they hosted, I had to fight with the registrar they used to give me control of the domain names because the hosting service registered them. Even though they were in my name, the registrar was reluctant to give me control. Once I gained control, I moved the names to another registrar. I would never register a domain through any hosting service again.
    Mary Ellen
    I came; I saw; I Zenned
    Taking over the world... one website at a time
    Make sure brain is engaged before putting mouth in gear... or fingers to keyboard.

Holzheimer
    Fan Odyssey

Plugin Contributions

Thanks that will be really kind of you.. I would definitely love that...

And i have no plan on using anything like shopify or whatever onlinestore webs..

I want to set up a website that belongs to me..

So yupp, i will definitely love a good website where i can get my domain and have my web hosted(still choosing beteen hostmonster and hostgator). Thanks so much.

Plugin Contributions

Hi dreamfm,

Just thought I would add… be sure to research your online target market. This research will help considerably in respect to sales and make up a good portion of your website design, layout, and function.

Zen Cart is very solid and the developers of it are fantastic. For hosting, we have some HostGator coupons http://twitter.com/#!/NAVSPAN.

Any questions, feel free to contact me at the link below.

Thank you
    NAVSPAN™ Technologies | Affordable Zen Cart Website Design Since 2005
    Help Support Zen Cart, Donate Today

I would suggest hiring someone to set up your cart for you. Zen is so easy that even I can do it. BUT and there is a but ... it is also very easy to miss a few important steps, it is best to have at least basic knowledge.

Once you have your products make sure to take great pictures, the text you type is important. It is you talking to the customer telling them why buy from you. But it is also talking to the search engines telling them why index your site.

I believe your contact page should be complete with address and phone number, I do not deal with any company I can not pick up the phone and ask a question, or contact if there is a problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast