Plugin Contributions

Default Cannot find the Zones or Reviews

Hello,
    I have my main website running 1.39h on a server running live.
    I have a new website built and set up on a seperate server with just the basic zencart installation again running 1.39h.
    I would have made a complete transfer, but we have a few conflicting modules so are starting from scratch again.
    I am in the process of moving all necessary files to the new installation but i cannot locate them.

The files i am looking for are:
    1. Zones & Zones definitions
    2. Customer reviews
    3. Countries
    4. Coupon admin
    5. Products low stock
    And there are a few more.

Now i thought the reviews would be in admin/reviews.php, and the same for reports, reviews etc, but they are not there, they just seem to be the main php file and not the "entries"
    Can anyone tell me where i can find any information stored within the admin panel (as above for example) so i can copy this information over to my new installation please.
    Thank you
    Nic

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Cannot find the Zones or Reviews

You don't appear to understand how these sites work.

There are two FUNDAMENTAL PARTS to CMS sites:

1. The FILES
    2. The DATABASE

The FILES go about the job of assembling pages and performing calculations.
    The DATABASE stores the information needed, and also any results of a desired FUNCTION.

What you are looking for is DATA... so the clue is in the name...
    20 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by schoolboy View Post
    You don't appear to understand how these sites work.

There are two FUNDAMENTAL PARTS to CMS sites:

1. The FILES
    2. The DATABASE

The FILES go about the job of assembling pages and performing calculations.
    The DATABASE stores the information needed, and also any results of a desired FUNCTION.

What you are looking for is DATA... so the clue is in the name...
    Your right Schoolboy!
    I do not understand, hence why i am asking for assistance on these forums.
    Thank you for showing me "the light", but would i assume from the cryptic clue, that i need to look in the datasbase?
    Thanks
    Nic

Plugin Contributions

Nic, you need to look in the various settings available in your store's admin area. Log into your admin and you'll see, for example, a heading labelled "Locations / Taxes"; that's where you set your zone definitions. The other features you'd asked about are in other places within the admin area.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by lat9 View Post
    Nic, you need to look in the various settings available in your store's admin area. Log into your admin and you'll see, for example, a heading labelled "Locations / Taxes"; that's where you set your zone definitions. The other features you'd asked about are in other places within the admin area.
    Hello Lat9,
    I understand that, but i am looking for where the information taken in the Admin eg: zones, reviews etc are stored so i can transfer from one site to another.
    Thanks
    Nic.

Plugin Contributions

If you want to COPY or MOVE a site, or have OTHER sites that assume the same behaviour and contain the same DATA as the original site, then you are going to have to create a "CLONE" of the main site first, before you can set up COPIES on other domains or website addresses.

A "CLONE" therefore requires that you copy BOTH the files system AND the database.

The complexities in both the FILE SYSTEM and the DATABASE mean that it is very difficult to copy "bits" of one site to another. This is particularly true of the DATABASE, which uses some very complex RELATIONAL techniques to store and render the data.

It is possible (with some constraints) to apply a copied DATABASE to another FILE SET (ie: not using the original site's FILE SYSTEMS) but when/if you have installed additional MODULES to a site, Then those modules may require a high degree of compatibility between the files and the database.

I realise I am probably "losing you" at this point. I am sorry... there is no "easy" way to explain the complexities, or make special "copies" of bits of one site, to another - which is what you seem to want.

As you have acknowledged that you are a "bit of a novice" in this area, your best bet is to get some professional help, because it could take you a LONG time to learn all the constraints and methods needed to ensure that the COPY of your original site, is properly configured and will work reliably and safely for your customers.

Even the smallest "error" can cause problems.
    20 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by schoolboy View Post
    If you want to COPY or MOVE a site, or have OTHER sites that assume the same behaviour and contain the same DATA as the original site, then you are going to have to create a "CLONE" of the main site first, before you can set up COPIES on other domains or website addresses.

A "CLONE" therefore requires that you copy BOTH the files system AND the database.

The complexities in both the FILE SYSTEM and the DATABASE mean that it is very difficult to copy "bits" of one site to another. This is particularly true of the DATABASE, which uses some very complex RELATIONAL techniques to store and render the data.

It is possible (with some constraints) to apply a copied DATABASE to another FILE SET (ie: not using the original site's FILE SYSTEMS) but when/if you have installed additional MODULES to a site, Then those modules may require a high degree of compatibility between the files and the database.

I realise I am probably "losing you" at this point. I am sorry... there is no "easy" way to explain the complexities, or make special "copies" of bits of one site, to another - which is what you seem to want.

As you have acknowledged that you are a "bit of a novice" in this area, your best bet is to get some professional help, because it could take you a LONG time to learn all the constraints and methods needed to ensure that the COPY of your original site, is properly configured and will work reliably and safely for your customers.

Even the smallest "error" can cause problems.
    Thanks Schoolboy, yes it is complicated.
    I will add the revies, zones etc etc manually then. This seems to be the only way i can achieve this, albeit slower, but it's better than the above if i done it
    I will use either easy populate or apsona to import the products and customers.
    Thanks for your time.
    Nic.