Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: SSL Certificate issue.

Quote Originally Posted by RodG View Post
    You don't expect me to beleive that do you?

I've never yet come across any host that will register a domain name in this way and then do nothing more than impose the mandatory 60 day waiting period before allowing the name to be transferred to another registrar. The hosts of which you speak always want more... a lot more, in fact as you stated, they make you go through a convoluted process to regain ownership and with this usually comes some additional fees/expenses.

That is why don't beleive your first statement.
    Well I may not have thought it through as well as you have, but its what came quickly to my mind when I first saw his post.

For the record, this type of activity isn't allowed under the AUDA rules. The registrars (or thier resellers, AKA 'web hosts' ) aren't allowed to register domains in their own names, nor are they permitted to deny or delay transfers to another registrar. Neither the old or the new registrar are allowed to charge 'transfer' fees, and if the domain name has more than 90 days before expiration the new register isn't even allowed to extend/renew the transfered domain name.

Ooops, sorry, there I go trying to teach you something again. I just can't help myself. It is a part of what I do. :)
    Yes Oz is so much better regulated than o/seas.

I know you probably aren't interested, but *I* need to know these things even if you don't. I am an authorised domain name reseller for a couple of different registrars. Just another of the many hats I wear :)

Cheers
    Rod
    Small world, I resell with tppwholesale (ex planet domain)

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: SSL Certificate issue.

Quote Originally Posted by gilby View Post
    Yes Oz is so much better regulated than o/seas.
    That's not necessarily a good thing!

Anyway I prefer the old days (pre AUDA) where regulations weren't needed, and it actually required a certain amount of technical expertise, as well as being having a minimum of two sysadmins running DNS servers that were willing to host your DNS records before a domain could be registered. There was hardly any abuse or spamming back then... OK, other than Melbourne IT's monopoly on the .au name registrations, for wich they charged a small fortune (and as far as I nkow, they still do).

Sorry, I wasn't my intent to teach you anything <g>, but boy, things were so much more friendly on the 'net back then. I sure miss that.

Cheers
    Rod

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12