Plugin Contributions

Default Switching From Miva

After working with Miva Merchant for 15 years I have decided that it is time to leave them and I have chosen Zencart for the stores I manage.

I can export the customer, product, and orders from Miva 5.5 to a flat file with no problem, but is there an easy way to import at least the customer info into Zencart or would it be better to enter all the data manually. We are talking several hundred customers.

Any advice appreciated.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Switching From Miva

Quote Originally Posted by jmac2020 View Post
    I can export the customer, product, and orders from Miva 5.5 to a flat file with no problem, but is there an easy way to import at least the customer info into Zencart.
    Exporting and importing the data is very easy. The tricky part is in taking the exported file and formatting the data into what ZenCart is expecting. :)

Quote Originally Posted by jmac2020 View Post
    would it be better to enter all the data manually. We are talking several hundred customers. .
    This is always a tough call, sometimes it is quicker and easier to just reenter the data manually, but othertimes not. It is a bit of a judgment call based on many factors, most notibly how confident you are with working with 'raw' SQL data and data tables, as well as the number of items to be relocated, and the organisational format of the data you have to work with.

Now for a more useful response :)
    The customer data used by zencart is pretty basic, but it is spread across two different tables, that are linked by a 'customers_id'. It isn't too difficult to manipulate a flat CSV file into the two different files what you'll need to import into Zen.

The products and orders data is a different kettle of fish, both of these have their data spread across at least a half dozen different linked tables, and although it is possible to do the same here as with the customer data, it is signficantly more difficult to do so. Having said that, many people here swear by a program/module called 'easy populate' which can alleviate you of a lot of the 'hard grunt' work. It could be worth taking a look at.

Another option is to search the net for commersion conversion services, one such site promoting Miva -> Zencart conversions can be found here:
    http://www.wpcomp.com/cart_conversion.html (I know nothing about these people, it was the first of many that I found via Google).

Cheers
    Rod

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Switching From Miva

Although I haven't tried it, Apsona does customer imports and exports, via csv files.
    Steve
    github.com/torvista: Spanish Language Pack, Google reCaptcha, Structured Data, Multiple Copy-Move-Delete, Image Checker, BackupMySQL Admin/Auto...