Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

help question Need a Product Finder

Been using Zencart for maybe a month or so. I've been flubbing my way through most of it and I do like every thing so far. I've broken the site a few times due to addons I've tried and it didn't work (i made back ups of everything so not QQing). I am looking for something like Product Finder, which I saw in the contribution section to downloads, but it says for 1.3.9.

I'm currently running v1.5. I'm a motorcycle parts dealer that is been building a site when my circumstances lets me add to it. I don't have any formal PHP background but if a tutorial makes sense, I can do it. I have some but not excellent code understanding. I'm selling pretty much everything from exhaust pipes, to tires, to something as small as blinker. For now, I've been listing stuff in multiple categories that lead you in to 3-4 subs which doesn't bother me but need better efficiency for those that aren't window shopping and are only looking for products as per their motorcycle. Example is Exhaust>Yoshimura>Slip On> Honda Kawasaki suzuki yamaha. After selecting one of those subs, you are presented with a list that looks like R77-D Exhaust for 2011 CBR1000RR.

All the jumping works to an extent plus i do have a search bar up on the top. Altho having something that just narrowed it down for you is fine. I have an ######## load of option values to cover all my bases when you select some products that I'm being general that it fits Kawasaki and you find drop downs with your year, make, model. Only issue with being to general is then I need Stock by Attribute and that i think is still not recommended for a live site yet.

My site is sportbikespeed.com so you can get a jist of what I mean. Its no where near complete with products but i add when I get time.

Cape Town & London (depends on the season)
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Need a Product Finder

The free addon for product finders probably works with zc1.5 .

There are a couple of files that are modified, but most of them are custom, and do not over-write core files.

We use a different approach, using extra tables in the database, and an ajax drill-down searcher. (This one is quite complex).

We adapted a CAR PART finder for LED bulbs: See a DEMO HERE.

The module is a commercial module, developed by jsweb .

Plugin Contributions

I wasn't sure. Its easy enough to try it. After the last thing i tried that wasn't quite for V1.5, made for v1.39 it broke the website even with some merging. I wanted to ask first before i did. Something like that would work with the bulbs would work bcs of the allowance of a quick way to say i have these parts to fit. Not sure if i need as much complex but I'm always open to suggestions.

The next thing I'm going to worry about is stock via attributes but one thing at a time. I can't wait for that part.

Plugin Contributions

Product Finder does work on 1.5. I never did an update as it required no changes.
    Steve
    github.com/torvista: Spanish Language Pack, Google reCaptcha, Structured Data, Multiple Copy-Move-Delete, Image Checker, BackupMySQL Admin/Auto...

Plugin Contributions

(out of editing time)
    We are in the same business: www dot motorvista dot es.

I strongly recommend you try this for managing your categories
    http://www.zen-cart.com/showthread.p...Manager-Sorted

Regarding Stock by Attributes, I also have never been convinced by the code(s) available, from what I have read in the support forums, so have not implemented it. Ceon have a module almost ready which will (as always) be better than anything else available, so I would concentrate on other things (than stock by attribtes) for as long as possible in the hope it sees the light of day (don't ask them for dates!!).
    Steve
    github.com/torvista: Spanish Language Pack, Google reCaptcha, Structured Data, Multiple Copy-Move-Delete, Image Checker, BackupMySQL Admin/Auto...

Plugin Contributions

I will definitely give it a shot using those two mods. I haven't messed with linking products yet. I've been just duplicating products over and over and changing their names. This is kinda due to how complex the amount of part numbers there are. I know I'm not doing it as clean I would like so this should def help me gear towards being "cleaner" I'll have to search in the wiki/tutorial about linking products for the benefit. I looked at your site and its cleaner in the respect of products and much more organized then me right now :). I like that we have a similar business in the sense you have an idea of talking.

I wouldn't quite beable to go with how your readme file says in 3 categories being I will sell exhaust, tires, brakes, frame sliders, windshields and so much more, but I guess thats how linking will be. I have a HUGE catalog of stuff to add. I'll get this up and going tomorrow (fingers crossed with family and girlfriend on bed rest that I am a slave to) and I'll probably have questions on how to properly get it to work being you might have seen how many categories i have and I wish I was done adding them.

Oh I know, i read those support forums for SBA. I think if another posts when is it due, omg i need this are you working on it and questions him I think they'll hit that nice shiney delete button lol. I'm concentrating on just adding and adding product and cleaning and fixing as I go. I'll add then start looking to see umm you know I need something like your mod or this mod and get distracted searching. Something thats close to SBA will work when its available just being that an exhaust pipe is available in carbon fiber, stainless, titanium finishes and all of which will have a different product QTY.

Plugin Contributions

To be honest, if I was starting from scratch and I needed attributes so much (I don't for 99% of my products) Zen Cart 1.5 is not adequate and 2.0 is who-knows-when in the future. My personal non-experienced preference would be Spree.
    Steve

Plugin Contributions

I can understand that. I don't mind the waiting for a more powerful attribute controller. I'd hate to completely start over with another shopping cart software. I can start over with re adding products again. I was using joomla/VM but everytime I would go to find addon or something It constantly broke something. I've been happier with Zen so far even tho its not as GUI as I may like.

Plugin Contributions

I installed both those, I just have to now understand how it works to link it. The one file I didn't merge was the html_header. I'm using the one currently, since the readme said if jquery was already there then thats fine. When I did the merge, it messed up how the header looked.

Since I'm using categories instead of Make, Model, Year. Is there a way I can make the category model but make it hidden so I can leave what I have?
    Last edited by Rex_; 6 May 2012 at 09:34 PM.

Plugin Contributions

Please ask questions in the relevant support thread so others can answer (I usually can't) and all can benefit from the information.
    Steve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast