Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Want to edit my zc db with sqldeveloper but cannot connect with localhost

Quote Originally Posted by RodG View Post
    As stated above, you need to set the user permissions to log on from anywhere (or, in your case, for better security, the IP address of your *Windoze* box (192.168.0.104), because that is where are connecting *from*.
    Amend this. Set to log in from anywhere. It just occured to me that if you set to use *just* the aforementioned IP address you'll actually be denying access from 'localhost', and that will cause an issue with phpmyadmin connecting to the SQL server (since both are running on the same 'localhost') and by default, this is what both phpmyadmin are expecting to use.

There are way around this, but I'm not 100% sure of the correct syntax to use in the host field (it's probably text input and "127.0.0.1; 192.168.0.104"), buty I could be wrong.

Cheers
    Rod
    Last edited by RodG; 13 May 2012 at 08:09 AM.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Want to edit my zc db with sqldeveloper but cannot connect with localhost

Thank you Rod for your help. Unfortunately I changed the place you told me (finally found it :)... ) but things are still pretty much the same.

I tried the command "iptables -L | grep 3306" but it doesn't seem to be recognized see below.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	iptables.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	20.9 KB 
ID:	10477

I'm giving up, will try to take your advice and change the situation by installing windows as a vm and linux as the base system.

Thanks again for all.

regards,
    Leo

Plugin Contributions

Also tried the iptables command with sudo and, although it didn't give any error, it didn't return anything either.

Cheers mate!
    Leo

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by leocoppens View Post
    I changed the place you told me (finally found it :)... ) but things are still pretty much the same.
    'pretty much the same' implies that it's not *exactly* the same. This can often be a good sign in that one issue has been solved, but another still exists.

I tried the command "iptables -L | grep 3306" but it doesn't seem to be recognized see below.
    Bugger... iptables can only be run by the root user. You'll need to use

sudo "iptables -L | grep 3306"

Edit: "Also tried the iptables command with sudo and, although it didn't give any error, it didn't return anything either".

This is GOOD. It wasn't supposed to return anything! (re-read my original text).

I'm giving up,
    Not so fast, we've still a few more things to test and check before giving up. There are so many things that need to be 'right' (and therefore so many things that can be wrong) that we need to step through them one by one, otherwise you'll end up with information overload.

will try to take your advice and change the situation by installing windows as a vm and linux as the base system.
    Whoa!! Hold your horses, My advice was that this would provide better performance and reliability. I explicitely stated that this will NOT solve your problem.

Until now I have been trying to ensure that your server permissions have been set up correctly. Networking issues were next on the list (this is where firewalls may or may not be a factor).

One step at a time.

You next task is the 'ping' tests, but before I can guide you through that, I still need a few of my original questions answered.

---------------------------------------------------------
    Is your SQL server on the virtualised machine or the native machine?
    Is your Webserver (and therefore phpmyadmin) on the virtualised machine or the native machine?
    Are you accessing phpmyadmin from the virtualised machine or the native machine?
    Is your Oracle SQL Developer running on the virtualised machine or the native machine?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

The only one you've answered so far is
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    As well as '127.0.0.1' both the virtual machine and the native machine will have thier own IP addresses. What are they, and which machine is using which IP address?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

Until/unless you provide answers to ALL of those questions I could be leading you down the wrong path. I am basing my advice/suggestions only on the information provided so far, and what I would consider to be a 'typical' scenario. This means I'm making several assumptions, and you know what they say about assumptions, don't you?

Cheers
    Rod

Plugin Contributions

Hello Rod!
    thanks for the message! you have more faith in me than myself! :)

Ok let's see. the answers are very easy:

Is your SQL server on the virtualised machine or the native machine? The vm holds linux on which I installed the LAMP server (Linux-Apache-MySQL-PHP)

Is your Webserver (and therefore phpmyadmin) on the virtualised machine or the native machine? Answered above (LAMP on the vm ubuntu)

Are you accessing phpmyadmin from the virtualised machine or the native machine? (As above (LAMP on the vm ubuntu)

Is your Oracle SQL Developer running on the virtualised machine or the native machine? Oracle SQL Dev is on my base machine (Win7 Ultimate).

Regards,
    Leo

Plugin Contributions

Oh hold on, I understood wrongly the third question, I'm accessing phpmyadmin from windows (the base machine).

So when I ping from windows to 192.168.0.107 it comes back perfectly, I can also access zencart on that same ip with no issues.

Plugin Contributions

OK, slight change of tactics.

Please download/install the following program (MySQL navigator).

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mysq...gator-windows/

See if that lets you connect to the database or not.

This is merely for fault finding purposes, as it's ability to connect (or not) will inform me as to whether the issue is related to the windows inbuilt firewall, among other things.

Cheers
    Rod

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

1.Is your SQL server on the virtualised machine or the native machine? The vm holds linux on which I installed the LAMP server (Linux-Apache-MySQL-PHP)

2.Is your Webserver (and therefore phpmyadmin) on the virtualised machine or the native machine? Answered above (LAMP on the vm ubuntu)

3.Are you accessing phpmyadmin from the virtualised machine or the native machine?
    I'm accessing phpmyadmin from windows (the base machine).

4.Is your Oracle SQL Developer running on the virtualised machine or the native machine? Oracle SQL Dev is on my base machine (Win7 Ultimate).

5. when I ping from windows to 192.168.0.107 it comes back perfectly, I can also access zencart on that same ip with no issues.
    1, 2, 3, 5 - those are all on the vm, with the vm talking to the vm, and is as expected. Even phpMyAdmin is running ON the vm, accessed remotely from windows just like accessing zen cart remotely from windows

4 - That's the windows computer not able to talk to the vm over the MySQL port, which is 3306 normally.
    Hence the suggestion that this is a firewall issue. Or your MySQL is configured to disallow direct access from external/remote addresses. Or both. And such disallowing is PERFECTLY NORMAL since any secure webserver will indeed want to prevent that sort of access for security reasons, with rare exceptions.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Tried with MySQL Nav but couldn't connect either...

(Didn't know what port to put though)

Name:	MySQL Nav.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	18.0 KB 
ID:	10490

And the err:

Name:	MySQL NavErr.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	9.2 KB 
ID:	10491

Plugin Contributions

Tried with MySQL Nav but couldn't connect either...
    Sweet :)

(Didn't know what port to put though)
    3306 (it is rarely anything different)

Solution:

On your VM locate the file /etc/mysql/my.cnf, and line#47 (or thereabouts) you'll probably see:

bind-address = 127.0.0.1

Just add a hash character before this line (to comment it out), so it reads

# bind-address = 127.0.0.1

Restart the mysql server: (From the linux command line type "service mysql restart")

You should now be able to connect.

Cheers
    Rod

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast