Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

help question Auspost module questions

A couple of months ago I downloaded the Auspost module from here. Is there a reason it's obsolete? The estimations it's been giving me are correct, so if it's not causing any serious problems I see no reason to use anything else. I only need a really simple auspost module, and this once does everything I need... So I'm hoping I can avoid having to pay for ozpost (it's also too complicated for me to install so I'd have to pay someone to do that too).

Either way, there's something I want to change in the Auspost module while I'm still using it for the timebeing. I want to get rid of the "X days estimated delivery" in the checkout when selecting a shipping option. Could anyone explain to me (in baby steps) how to do this if it's possible?

Thanks!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Auspost module questions

Quote Originally Posted by moltres93 View Post
    A couple of months ago I downloaded the Auspost module from here. Is there a reason it's obsolete?
    ob·so·lete
    Adjective: No longer produced or used; out of date.
    Verb: Cause (a product or idea) to be or become obsolete by replacing it with something new: "we're obsoleting last year's designs".
    Synonyms: antiquated - out-of-date - outdated - old-fashioned

I think that is self explanatory.

The estimations it's been giving me are correct,
    Correction. *SOME* of the quotes it provides will be correct, but most of them will be incorrect. EG, Satchels, Insured or registered Items, Letters, COD's.

Australia Post also closed down the server that this was relying on a few months ago. They have since re-enabled this via a URL rewrite and a wrapper script to their new servers. This has been implemented as a temporary work around because in spite of all of their advertising of the impending change (developers had at least 12 months notice) there were/are still a lot of carts using the old system because no one has updated their code.

Unless this module gets an urgent update its days are once again limited.

so if it's not causing any serious problems
    Depends on your definition of 'serious' I suppose. Take a parcel weighing over 500gms destined for the USA. This module is currently under quoting by at least $9.00. (The security surcharge that was introduced a while ago). I consider that to be quite serious. If you have one of these a month it'll cost you more in lost shipping than you'd be paying for an ozpost subscription over the same period.

I see no reason to use anything else. I only need a really simple auspost module, and this once does everything I need... So I'm hoping I can avoid having to pay for ozpost
    You do realise that the same person (me) created both of these modules, don't you?

(it's also too complicated for me to install so I'd have to pay someone to do that too).
    This statement/claim doesn't hold water. The installation is 100% identical in both cases. The modules even share some of the same files (most notibly, those located in your /admin/ folder, so if you do ever decide to invest in the future of an accurate shipping module for your store you only actually need to upload TWO files from the ozpost.zip file (includes/modules/shipping/ozpost.php & /includes/languages/english/modules/shipping/ozpost.php)

These can even coexist with the 'austpost' module (handly if you wish to compare the differences between the quotes they provide).

Even better, if you do ever decide to use 'ozpost' you won't even need to worry about keeping it up to date. This module has functionality to keep itself updated, which means that not only will the prices be kept up to date, but changes in shipping methods are also kept up to date (For example, the 'regular satchels' no longer exist, they have been replaced with the new 'Parcel Post Plus' satchels, along with a new 5Kg satchel that is unknown to the old 'aust post' module.

Other things have been dropped, such as insurance on express post items (which is no longer a service supported by Australia Post).

Either way, there's something I want to change in the Auspost module while I'm still using it for the timebeing. I want to get rid of the "X days estimated delivery" in the checkout when selecting a shipping option.
    The ozpost module even has a toggle switch for this (it can provide no estimate, an estimate of the number of days, as well as the estimated delivery date (with weekends and holidays taken into account).

Could anyone explain to me (in baby steps) how to do this if it's possible?
    You could try copying the code from ozpost into austpost. This part of the code is near identical in both modules (other than the logic to select between the three modes).

There may also be someone else around here that is willing to give you 'baby steps', but from my side of things, this code is still obsolete and I no longer support it in any way, shape or form. There are others that support my work that are more deserving of my time :)

Cheers
    Rod

Plugin Contributions

Thanks, I know what obsolete means... I was asking why it was outdated. Now I realise this is because Auspost no longer uses that server, and there are extra/missing shipping options in the old module. That's all I wanted to know :)

The installation is 100% identical in both cases.
    I tried to install ozpost once and I remember there being a LOT more files than with the old module and I found it a little overwhelming with my level of experience. I did try to set everything up but once active I got errors all over my site. I am not sure whether I installed it incorrectly or it is clashing with other coding in my site...

There are others that support my work that are more deserving of my time :)
    Yes, I wanted to avoid paying for a module if possible (small businesses cost a lot of money and I want to save every bit of money wherever I can). But that's why I asked this question in the first place: I wanted to know what was going on with my current module and if the problem was big enough that I did indeed need to change to ozpost. I appreciate your response, I really do, but if you didn't think I was worth your time, you could have just not replied at all instead of being snarky about it.
    Last edited by moltres93; 20 May 2012 at 10:08 AM.

Plugin Contributions

I tried to install ozpost once and I remember there being a LOT more files than with the old module
    There are a lot more files, all of them being the icons for the new methods that are now supported. The number of main/essential files haven't changed, and these consist of the 3 files in the admin folder (no changes between ozpost & aust post), the language file, and the main program file. In other words, if you exclude the graphics, both ozpost and austpost have exactly the same number of files which need to be placed in exactly the same folders.

and I found it a little overwhelming with my level of experience. I did try to set everything up but once active I got errors all over my site. I am not sure whether I installed it incorrectly or it is clashing with other coding in my site...
    Ozpost doesn't clash with any other files or modules, not even AustPost, therefore you must have uploaded the files into the wrong places.

Yes, I wanted to avoid paying for a module if possible (small businesses cost a lot of money and I want to save every bit of money wherever I can).
    I know all about small business. I've been one for most of my working life. I know how important it is to minimise costs. I've also run online stores (including an Ebay store) where our profits per item could be counted in cents. Incorrect postage quotes made the difference between a sale making a profit or making a loss.
    This is why AustPost/ozpost was developed, to provide *accurate* costs.

But that's why I asked this question in the first place: I wanted to know what was going on with my current module and if the problem was big enough that I did indeed need to change to ozpost. I appreciate your response, I really do, but if you didn't think I was worth your time, you could have just not replied at all instead of being snarky about it.
    I was just stating the facts, and yes, I could have not replied at all, but if you search these forums for other people asking about AustPost you'll note that the messages tend to go completely ignored, just as I suspect yours would have been.

You asked WHY AustPost was obsolete, which was actually a good question, worthy of a quick reply. I am one of about 3 people reading these forums that could provide you with a a complete and accurate answer (although I'm undoubtably biased). I've stated this before, and I'll state it again, as an Australian merchant you are not one in thousands, you are 1 in ~300-350 (at any given time). This means that the number of people/developers that are both willing and able enough to provide support for things that are 'uniquely Australian' can probably be counted on one hand.

Most of the ozpost supporters consider the ozpost.net subscription fees to be an investment (and rightfully so). It helps ensure they'll have help and reliability long into the future, the fees are fully tax deductable, and as per my previous message, if it prevents 1 underquote to the USA per month the module has even paid for itself. I appreciate not all merchants will be in this position, but 20cents here, 50cents there, it all adds up.

I did not intend to be snarky.

Cheers
    Rod

Plugin Contributions

Crikey? Rod ouch

Plugin Contributions

but if you didn't think I was worth your time, you could have just not replied at all instead of being snarky about it.
    Well, snarky is pretty much what RodG does (might be an Aussie thing), but it's also true that he's forgotten more about this stuff (especially server-side) than most of us will ever know, and it's always worth wading through the attitude in his posts to glean the information. Don't take it personally.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by stevesh View Post
    Well, snarky is pretty much what RodG does
    LOL

(might be an Aussie thing),
    Eeek, I hope not. I consider it to be definetly a Rod thing. I wish there were more people like me. :)

Don't take it personally.
    Good advice. Nothing I say or write should be taken personally. I try state things as I see them regardless of whether I'm speaking to a humble steet cleaner or the prime minister (president) of a country. I try to treat all people equally, and one of my philosophies is that "offence can only be taken, never given". If someone *chooses* to take offence at anything I say or write then that is *their* problem not mine. :)

Cheers
    Rod

Plugin Contributions

LOL Typical Aussie farnarkling.

http://mrjohnclarke.com/projects/farnarkeling

If you cant be good, be good at it.

Plugin Contributions

might be an Aussie thing
    Quote Originally Posted by RodG View Post
    LOL

Eeek, I hope not. I consider it to be definetly a Rod thing. I wish there were more people like me. :)

Good advice. Nothing I say or write should be taken personally. I try state things as I see them regardless of whether I'm speaking to a humble steet cleaner or the prime minister (president) of a country. I try to treat all people equally, and one of my philosophies is that "offence can only be taken, never given". If someone *chooses* to take offence at anything I say or write then that is *their* problem not mine. :)

Cheers
    Rod
    I'm an Aussie and I can attest we are all straight, no-################ type people. None asked for. None given.

As for RodG......... :)

Plugin Contributions

I didnt notice the snarkyness, but then that might have been due to the fact I fell asleep.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast