Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    26
    Plugin Contributions
    0

    Default Ozpost animated logo and advertising

    RodG

    An animated gif and link that advertises your mod is embedded in my site checkout without an admin option to kill it. I appreciate and often pay/donate for a devs work in creating mods - under-rated and under-paid is the order of the day. Been there, did it.

    But c'mon cobber, this is a paid service is it not?

    And since I see nothing in license or credits re: conditional embedding can you please confirm I can kill the link and .gif and when I do - it stays dead (on future upgrades)?

    No malice intended here mate but MY site is MY site. And where I come from, if you want to advertise on MY site - you pay >> ME <<

    I await your outburst response.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    4,762
    Plugin Contributions
    3

    Default Re: Ozpost animated logo and advertising

    Quote Originally Posted by stewade View Post
    An animated gif and link that advertises your mod is embedded in my site checkout without an admin option to kill it. I appreciate and often pay/donate for a devs work in creating mods - under-rated and under-paid is the order of the day. Been there, did it.

    But c'mon cobber, this is a paid service is it not?
    The ozpost module that you are using is 100% free. Released under the GPL.

    The subscription fees are for access to the ozpost.net servers.

    It is my wish for developers for Zencart and other eCommerce stores to create their own 'ozpost' client modules in order to free up my time so that I can concentrate more on the server code, for example, adding even more couriers. Whether the developers of the client modules make them avaialble for free, or whether it be 'adware', or even a paid module is of no consequence to me. I even promote this code developement by offering a percentage of all server subscriptions recieved by users of the client software that they develop.

    Please refer to our mission statement at: http://ozpost.net.au/mission-statement/

    Quote Originally Posted by stewade View Post
    And since I see nothing in license or credits re: conditional embedding can you please confirm I can kill the link and .gif and when I do - it stays dead (on future upgrades)?
    The reason for the animated logo goes a lot deeper than you'd expect, but first, the best/easiest way to kill the the logo is to replace it with a 1x1 gif of the same name. As for the link, could you please recheck that, because I'm pretty sure it's just a graphic with no embedded link.

    Quote Originally Posted by stewade View Post
    No malice intended here mate but MY site is MY site. And where I come from, if you want to advertise on MY site - you pay >> ME <<

    I await your [s]outburst[/s] response.
    Me. Outburst? Never. Well, not unless stating facts that you don't wish to hear is considered an outbust. <g>

    The fact is, this 'advertising logo' has actually been added so that merchants can easily *remove* the ozpost identifier (just as you want, and in the way I suggested). The logo is a 'replacement' to the text that identifies the shipping module being used. Without the logo *zencart* will use the text name of the module, in this case 'ozpost', but if you use the flat rate module it will show as 'flat', if you were using the USPS module it will show as 'USPS', an so forth. Zencart *needs* these identifiers, and it isn't possible to identify a shipping module with "nothing". The only textual 'nothing' possible is a single space character, and in some places (with careful observation) you'll see that the ozpost code does actually use this 'single space' as the code identifier rather than the text 'ozpost', (or the logo).

    Contrary to your belief, I've actually gone out of my way to supress the ozpost 'advertising', firstly by replacing the codeID with a blank space in places where it is possible, and secondly, by creating the icon so that it can be used instead of the codeID in places where supression isn't possible (or practical). The fact that I created an icon promoting 'ozpost' rather than a 1x1pixel gif was simply just a sensible/logical thing to do, otherwise I'd have people telling me that there was something 'wrong' with the ozpost.gif file because nothing showed when they tried to view it. :)

    Hopefully this response didn't disappoint you, but I'm sure it wasn't what you expected :)

    Cheers
    Rod
    Ozpost - The Ultimate Shipping module for Australian Merchants. Click these links for its Homepage, or Download from Zen-Cart.com.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    26
    Plugin Contributions
    0

    Default Re: Ozpost animated logo and advertising

    Your reply was as expected thx. I just wanted to know if it was cool to kill it off. Seems it is.

    However
    Contrary to your belief, ......The fact that I created an icon promoting 'ozpost' rather than a 1x1pixel gif was simply just a sensible/logical thing to do, otherwise I'd have people telling me that there was something 'wrong' with the ozpost.gif file because nothing showed when they tried to view it. :)
    I don't normally bother splitting hairs but a simple "Delivery Options" graphic would have done the same job and if someone couldn't spot a 1x1 gif - well - Zen Cart is probably way beyond their grasp anyway.

    Besides, you chose to have an animated gif that advertises. That's a choice thing, not the coding neccessity you make it sound. "Belief" has a different meaning when there are "facts" to reckon with.

    And yes, Ozpost is "free" but correct me if I am wrong - after 60 days it stops working if you don't pay for it. That's a paid service (as I stated) - GPL or otherwise.

    As such I am a customer and my sub is on the way quite soon (at devs end). Therefore. Be nice to me.

    I am ALWAYS right :)

    [icebreaker]
    I've been spending a lot of time jumping in and out of the Ozpost code looking for some pesky formatting errors. Nice work bloke \o/
    [/icebreaker]

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    4,762
    Plugin Contributions
    3

    Default Re: Ozpost animated logo and advertising

    Quote Originally Posted by stewade View Post
    I just wanted to know if it was cool to kill it off. Seems it is.
    It is. However, it will do nothing to promote the ozpost services, and as I have repeatedly stated, Australian merchants are small in numbers. The subscription fees don't even come close to covering the costs of running the servers (and maintaining the code). I *almost* closed the system down 2 years ago due to lack of demand/support, not to mention the unthankful comments that I used to get because people decided to be offended by some of my blunt responses, and this was when there were no fees at all. I seem to get far less of this now that the servers are subscription based than I ever did before then, and the only people that seem to hassle me now are the non-subsrcibers that somehow seem to expect more for less.

    Quote Originally Posted by stewade View Post
    However
    I don't normally bother splitting hairs but a simple "Delivery Options" graphic would have done the same job
    Yes it would, but please refer to the paragraph above. If you want/expect the ozpost system to continue well into the future then it is in your best interests to help promote it, just as it is in my best interests to do the same thing. Why on earth would I want to do what you are suggesting and provide this *free* code that other people (including merchants) can see being used, but not have any clues as to what the code/module is that is providing the quotes?

    I do many things to shoot myself in the foot, but failing to promote my own wares isn't one of them.

    Quote Originally Posted by stewade View Post
    and if someone couldn't spot a 1x1 gif - well - Zen Cart is probably way beyond their grasp anyway.
    On the same token, you haven't spotted (or commented) on the 'space' character around some of the quotation borders, so does that mean Zencart is beyond your grasp to? (of course not).

    Quote Originally Posted by stewade View Post
    Besides, you chose to have an animated gif that advertises. That's a choice thing,
    Apparently you had a little bit of trouble comprehending some of my previous reply.

    Quote Originally Posted by stewade View Post
    not the coding neccessity you make it sound. "Belief" has a different meaning when there are "facts" to reckon with.
    Suit yourself. I'm not prepared to argue *your* belief. It is going to be far easier for me to demonstrate your miscomprehension.

    Load /shipping/ozpost.php into a text editor.
    Line#163 (or thereabouts) is where the module identifier is located. It reads 'ozpost'. Change it to suit your needs.

    Then go to line #178. This is where the logo is defined. Change it to suit.

    Then finally go to line #524. Delete or comment out this entire line. (This is where I replace the logo with the space).

    Save the file, and check the results. It won't take you long to realise why having a logo is a necessity rather than a matter of choice.

    Quote Originally Posted by stewade View Post
    And yes, Ozpost is "free" but correct me if I am wrong - after 60 days it stops working if you don't pay for it.
    You are wrong. The client module can and will work indefinitely. There is no code anywhere within the module itself that activates or deactivates it. The code used by subscribers is exactly the same as the code used by non subscribers.

    Quote Originally Posted by stewade View Post
    That's a paid service (as I stated) -
    Lets get this straight shall we. PayPal charges to use their service. Banks charge to use thier services. Credit Card gateways charge to use thier services.

    If I wrote a client module to support any of these services, would the module I wrote be considered a 'paid' module? No, of course not (Well, not unless I charged for it). Would you expect PayPal or the Bank to provide you with a free service just because you happen to be using a free module to connect to their service? I suspect not.
    If I charged for the Bank/CC/PayPal module that I created would you expect these businesses to provide you with a free service because you paid for a module that connects to them? Again, the answer should be, no. Why should they?

    Ozpost is no different. The client software provided free, and like a lot of other free software, it is paid for by advertising, the same advertising that you wish to remove.

    The ozpost *servers* do require a subscription, and the folks that manage these servers have an agreement that they will provide 60 days *free* access in exchange for having thier logo placed in the client module(s).

    Quote Originally Posted by stewade View Post
    GPL or otherwise.
    I will point out that the server code is *not* GPL. This code is strongly and actively protected by copyright, and I *will* take legal action against any person or company that uses this code without explicit written permission. To date, no such permission has been granted.

    Quote Originally Posted by stewade View Post
    As such I am a customer
    At the moment you are not my customer. You are just another user of the free software that I have made available to anyone that is interested in seeing what the ozpost.net service can do for them. In spite of this, you appear to want to do nothing more than give me a hard time. It's not much different than when I was maintaining the free code that connected to the now obsolete edeliver.com.au servers.

    Quote Originally Posted by stewade View Post
    and my sub is on the way quite soon (at devs end). Therefore. Be nice to me.
    LOL. I don't go for this type of 'bribery'. I recently stated elsewhere that I try to treat ALL people EQUALLY, which means I'm no nicer (or nastier) to subscribers than I am to non subscribers. (Although I have to admit, I do go that 'extra step' to support the needs of subscribers, and many of the ozpost's features are a direct result of addressing individul subscribers needs. Non subscribers don't tend to get this 'extra step' support.

    Quote Originally Posted by stewade View Post
    I am ALWAYS right :)
    In that case we have a problem, because I'm never wrong (occasionally misinformed, perhaps, but never ever wrong) :)

    It may be better for you to refrain from communicating with me, else friction will occur. <grin>

    Oh, perhaps I misread you. Were you trying to say that "The customer is always right" and therefore as a customer you are always right? If so, I'm not a subscriber to this belief (I was in the electonic repair business for far too long to know that this isn't true). I'm one of the group that beleives that 80% of the profits come from 20% of the customers, and that trying to pacify the 20% minority is a waste of time and rescources.
    [icebreaker]
    I've been spending a lot of time jumping in and out of the Ozpost code looking for some pesky formatting errors. Nice work bloke \o/
    [/icebreaker]
    Ahem. Any formatting errors that you see are nothing to do with my code at all. The ozpost module itself doesn't actually output any data whatsover. It simply accepts the results from the servers, filters out the methods that have been disallowed, and stores the rest of the data into an array that is passed back to the zencart calling code. Any output you see is handled by the zencart code itself, which I agree, could do with a fair bit of improvment.
    Now, having said that, the ozpost distribution code does come with a file called tpl_modules_shipping_estimator.php which is an *optional replacement* for the original zencart file of the same name (to be placed in your custom templates folder). This code has had very minimal changes, specifically, it has included the output of the dimension fields (which is added as an extension of the code that outputs the weight and number of packages information), and the suburb names (as an extention of the To/from data in the header fields). I've kept these changes minimal so that 1) I have less work to if I need to merge these changes into updated zencart code, and 2) so that people have no reason to blame me/ozpost about what they consider to be 'bad' formatting, or how the output can be improved. Simply put, It's not my problem.

    Now having said that, as of ozpost V3.x.x I added some javascript/ajax code to this file to improve the data *input* functionality, specifically to perform the suburb names lookup based on the postcode input. This was deemed essential because unlike australia post (which only needs postcodes), the courier companies require suburb names, and these names must match the format used in the australia post lookup tables. The original text input field that was used for this purpose caused a lot of people a lot of problems, because apparently many of their customers didn't know how to spell the name of their own suburbs, not to mention differences such as "Saint" vs "St" or similar variants. Nonetherless, this is still considered an optional file. If you don't like it please use the zencart default tpl_ file instead, and then you can direct your formatting errors back to them, and leave me out of it.

    There. you've now got the ranting and raving that you were expecting. Happy now?

    Cheers
    Rod.
    Ozpost - The Ultimate Shipping module for Australian Merchants. Click these links for its Homepage, or Download from Zen-Cart.com.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    26
    Plugin Contributions
    0

    Default Re: Ozpost animated logo and advertising

    My inference that I "īntend" to subscribe is not "bribery". It was a thinly disguised hint to get you to pull your head in.

    But I did pick up on one particular gem from your wall-of-text. If this service will work fine - without subscribing - then why should I subscribe?

    Give me something to make me part with my money...

    PS: This is a chance at redemption, a chance to advertise and a chance to make money. Pipe down, make a cup-of-tea and come back like someone wanting to actually make money. Your attitude counts for nought.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Trust Logo, SSL Logo and Auth Net Logo
    By MagicMan in forum General Questions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 28 Jan 2009, 06:19 PM
  2. Animated logo loading problems on SSL and non SLL pages.
    By fireant in forum Templates, Stylesheets, Page Layout
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 13 Nov 2008, 03:21 AM
  3. Animated Images
    By gabenn2 in forum Setting Up Categories, Products, Attributes
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 13 Feb 2007, 11:52 AM
  4. Help centering logo. No gap between the logo and text!
    By toxicgtr in forum General Questions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 7 Jan 2007, 01:24 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •