Plugin Contributions

Default What are Dangers of Moving to a New Server?

I am realizing now that when you move a Zen cart to a new server that is configured with a new home directory path, the problems seem endless. i.e. many mods don;t work anymore, images not displaying, templates changes are missing, etc etc. Are there any guidelines , especially for this if us that are more on the business end and much less technical side?

Plugin Contributions

Default What are Dangers of Moving to a New Server?

I am realizing now that when I move a Zen cart to a new server that is configured with a new home directory path, the problems seem endless. i.e. many mods don;t work anymore, images not displaying, templates changes are missing, etc etc. Are there any guidelines , especially for this if us that are more on the business end and much less technical side?

I did read:
    http://www.zen-cart.com/content.php?142

And helped but still some unanswered issues

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: What are Dangers of Moving to a New Server?

Just remember that you need to manually change the /includes/configure.php and the (admin)/includes/configure.php
    there are several lines there that you will need to change from /home/username/public_html to the new path

Plugin Contributions

Tony,
    Can you please respond to my requests for the IP address of my Cpanel access?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by kevinmc3 View Post
    I am realizing now that when I move a Zen cart to a new server that is configured with a new home directory path, the problems seem endless. i.e. many mods don;t work anymore, images not displaying, templates changes are missing, etc etc.
    You are blaming the move for problems that are way outside the normal experience of anyone moving to another server. What you're explaining doesn't sound normal at all.

As far as Zen Cart itself, it's just the configure.php files involved. They tell ZC what folder/path to file your ZC files in, and what database to connect to. That's all that ZC needs. Seriously.
    If you've used addons that do significantly different things outside of the Zen Cart code, then you'll need to address whatever special requirements are imposed by those addons. And I'm sorry but I can't guess what those are for you, so you'll need to determine that information by consulting the reference info for those addons.

Note that some addons generate files with permission-settings that may prevent you from copying them using a regular FTP program. A classic case of this is very old versions of Image Handler2. In this case the symptoms were that the bmz_cache files and subfolders don't download via FTP and thus don't copy over to the new server since they're not on your PC when you try to upload them. (but in the case of bmz_cache, those files do NOT need to be copied to the new server, since they're rebuilt from the files in the /images/ folder.) If you're finding that certain files are specifically giving you permissions errors and failing to download, then the solution to that is to have your old server's hosting company set the permissions (ownership) on those files to allow your FTP account access. But DO NOT bug your hosting company about this if you don't have proof that this actual problem is happening to you. It's becoming less common for this to be a problem. And will not be the magic pill to fix whatever unexplained vast numbers of problems you seem to be posting about.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinmc3 View Post
    I did read:
    http://www.zen-cart.com/content.php?142

And helped but still some unanswered issues
    It's rare that there are any additional requirements than simply having all your files and your database content. VERY RARE.

But your "still some unanswered questions" isn't very clear. And sounds like those questions relate to things outside Zen Cart itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Merlinpa1969 View Post
    Just remember that you need to manually change the /includes/configure.php and the (admin)/includes/configure.php
    there are several lines there that you will need to change from /home/username/public_html to the new path
    Tony's right. As I explained above. And as explained in the article you quoted.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by bkeaton View Post
    Hey Thanks ! That was Very helpful!

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Duplicate threads merged.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.