Thread: Category Limit

Plugin Contributions

Default Category Limit

Hi
    For reasons that take too long to explain I want to have a category with a 150+ subcategories. From what I see this makes the page far too long as it appears that there is no limit as there is with ads. I dont want to break it down to sub sub categories. Anybody have a clue?
    Only a fool say's money doesn't matter. No rich man ever starved to death.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Category Limit

Quote Originally Posted by McGill View Post
    Hi
    For reasons that take too long to explain I want to have a category with a 150+ subcategories. From what I see this makes the page far too long as it appears that there is no limit as there is with ads. I dont want to break it down to sub sub categories. Anybody have a clue?
    Depending on what category sidebox you are using, you could limit the sub-category div in the CSS to a certain height, then add a "scroll" declaration.

SEE THIS SITE for a scroll effect on the home page.

PS: SCROLL declarations do not work on sites when viewed on mobile devices.
    20 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Yeah I understand that but its not really what I want. What I really need is a way to have a category like the ads listing so you can go limit the numer say to 12 than have another page with the next 12. The reason for it is that the products I sell have so many variations that the attributes become so complicated that the user will be baffled. If I use a category for each ad then in that category I can put each variation of the product seperately, do you understand what I mean?

Plugin Contributions

You need to think of your CUSTOMERS. Right now, you are not doing that. It would seem that your site lends itself to at least three sub-category levels, so you should structure it in a manner that provides logical drill-down and navigation.

We have built site with over 75000 products and have (with the client) spent many hours in many meetings deciding how to arrange navigation so that it is easy and logical for customers.

If you have a system that "randomly" displays a few of more than 150 possible cartegories, people will just get annoyed, leave your site and you'll lose sales. Put yourself in the CUSTOMERS' shoes and design your site to meet their expectations and needs.
    20 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by schoolboy View Post
    You need to think of your CUSTOMERS. Right now, you are not doing that. It would seem that your site lends itself to at least three sub-category levels, so you should structure it in a manner that provides logical drill-down and navigation.

We have built site with over 75000 products and have (with the client) spent many hours in many meetings deciding how to arrange navigation so that it is easy and logical for customers.

If you have a system that "randomly" displays a few of more than 150 possible cartegories, people will just get annoyed, leave your site and you'll lose sales. Put yourself in the CUSTOMERS' shoes and design your site to meet their expectations and needs.
    You dont understand, There wont be anything random about it and thats EXACTLY what I am doing thinking about the customer. what I am doing is selling t shirts so the variations are colour size, motif colour, second motif colour, t shirt type, etc etc etc and to have all those variations on one ad would make it impossible. The next solution would be to have an ad for each variation but that would entail 10+ ads for every t shirt and would make looking through a category a marathon. SO! I want have a category for each individual t shirt and inside of each single T shirt category you have all the variations for that particualar t shirt. Do you understand? This link is to a hidden example of what I mean http://madstan.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=23 Each design will then lead to t shirts with different variations. There are no ads at the moment for the second level
    Last edited by McGill; 10 Jun 2012 at 07:26 PM.