Plugin Contributions

Default How can I give a discount after purchasing an item?

I would like to give the user the option to buy a video. However, they can choose to download the video for $10 (and watch it for a limited time, like 30 days), or buy a DVD for $25. What I'd like to do is that if they buy the download for $10, they can then buy the DVD for $15 (the difference in price) if they buy it within the 30 day limited time.

Is this possible, and how?

Thanks,
    BP

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: How can I give a discount after purchasing an item?

yeah, it is possible but is not straight forward and would involve doing some coding. So, it depends on how much coding you can do yourself or if you just want to pay someone to make it so.

Basically, one way of doing it would be to create a new order total module. Like the discount module. It would scan the order for the dvd and if it found it would then scan the customers previous orders for the download. If it found the download then it would apply a discount of $10 to the order.

There would be other ways of approaching it too but this would be quite self-contained and wouldn't involve hacking existing files. The coding is not particularly complex but is much too much to go into on a forum post, to be honest.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: How can I give a discount after purchasing an item?

Ok, thanks. It's good to know there's no 'easy' and 'straight' way. I'm not worried about getting my hands dirty with a little code. To not make things overly complex, I might just give a discount code upon purchase of the video. I'll look into it, though.