Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default installing ZC on another domain

I intend to dedicate a separate website to host only the existing zencart files.

Can I just copy the entire folder and re-establish on the new website, or do I have to re-install from scratch?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: installing ZC on another domain

Here are the correct instructions for copying your store to another server: http://www.zen-cart.com/content.php?...fferent-server
    (Same as "moving" to another server, except you just wouldn't delete original site.)

And, yes, you will need a database for it too, not "only the files".

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks. Can you tell me, is it possible to install to the root directory (in my case /home/zencart/public.html instead of /home/zencart/public.html/zencart).

It doesn't seem to let me get passed the setting for this in System Setup. But I want zencart to be the only thing in the entire website with no unnecessary folder i.e. I want users to go to http://www.mysite.com/index.php and up comes zencart.

Is it impossible?

Plugin Contributions

Are you using an automagic installer to install this?
    They all want to install in a subdirectory.

You can install in the root directory if you install it manually.
    Manually is the best way to install anyway.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

As gilby says: yes, it's absolutely possible. In fact installing into the site root is the best way to install it.

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Well, I'm just using the zencart install program. So manually, I bypass this program and just copy the files across, right? Or is there a set of instructions for a manual install?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

"zencart install program"?

There are two parts to Zen Cart: a) all the PHP,etc files and b) the database.

The only "install program" would be "zc_install", which mainly takes care of setting up initial database contents, by asking you a lot of questions. But you can only do that after you've uploaded all the files to your server, using FTP. And since the FTP part is up to you, you can control which folder you upload everything into.

So in that respect the "zencart install program" has nothing to do with what folder your store runs from.

And, yes, there are complete installation instructions in the /docs/ folder of your Zen Cart files. There are some basic instructions in the .html files, and there are detailed instructions in the ImplementationGuide.pdf file.

Your posts sound like this is the first time you've set up a website, and yet you've been posting here for a few years. Why all the sudden confusion?
    Or is there a lot more going on behind the scenes which you're not sharing?

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for the help. Like 99% of people who use zencart, I did it only once before...er...was it 6 years ago? Hardly an expert. I'll see if I can get it going...

Plugin Contributions

I don't know what I am doing wrong, but after three hours of this, I'm conceding defeat!

http://ieltsbooks.co

I know it will be my error, but I can't find it. Why doesn't the page load up?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Maybe explainable by following this FAQ on dealing with blank pages? http://www.zen-cart.com/content.php?124-blank-page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast