Plugin Contributions

Default change the "...more info" link to use external url

Hi

I'm trying to get the link "... more info" (on product listings) to go to the external url specified in the product setup page

as far as i can tell the "...more info" link is constructed from something similar to the following code in various places.

Code:
    $lc_button = '<a href="' . zen_href_link(zen_get_info_page($listing->fields['products_id']), 'cPath=' . (($_GET['manufacturers_id'] > 0 and $_GET['filter_id']) > 0 ? zen_get_generated_category_path_rev($_GET['filter_id']) : ($_GET['cPath'] > 0 ? $_GET['cPath'] : zen_get_generated_category_path_rev($listing->fields['master_categories_id']))) . '&products_id=' . $listing->fields['products_id']) . '">' . MORE_INFO_TEXT . '</a>';
    But I'm not having any luck getting it to use the 'TEXT_MORE_INFORMATION' url

What I'm trying to get is that when the "...more info" link is clicked it uses the "For more information, please visit this products webpage." link

Can anyone help me?

Thanks

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: change the "...more info" link to use external url

Sorry, I can't help with the code edit, but I sure would like to know why you'd want to do such a thing.

Plugin Contributions

The site is to be used to link to a suppliers series of mini-websites to get full specs and additional information on each product. The zen-cart shop is to be used as a showcase only with only product name/price but no facility to purchase. At the moment the customer has to click into each individual product page to get access to the external url.

I tried putting the link into the description but the link doesn't work when the customer views "all products", "new products", etc - basically any time a list of products is shown.

So if anyone knows how to get a link to work for these views or even how to change the product name link to use the "For more information, please visit this products webpage." link, it would work too.

Plugin Contributions

From a business point of view, the idea completely lacks all merit...

Forrester research shows that about 84% of people who LEAVE a website do not return to it... so you are happily showing 8 out of 10 visitors the door...

MUCH MORE SENSIBLE to go grab that additional content, re-work it to suit your needs, and embed it in your site.

Getting people to your site is extremely hard work, and in the increasingly competitive world of eCommerce, is also very costly. Your idea gets them to your site, then invites them to go elsewhere.

It's like a high-street shopkeeper standing at the door of his shop, telling potential customers to go away and handing them advertising leaflets for competitors.

The ONLY WAY you want people to leave your site is through checkout (surely?) so every link on the site should be guiding them to the till...

Or if you're not using your site for eCommerce? Why not use Wordpress then? It is designed for external linking...
    20 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by schoolboy View Post
    MUCH MORE SENSIBLE to go grab that additional content, re-work it to suit your needs, and embed it in your site.
    Yeah i totally agree and that was what i had intended to do originally but the huge number of categories I'd need to implement it slows the site down. I'm trying to find a work around until the budget can stretch to a dedicated server.

Through trial and error I've managed to do what i want with one product by putting the following code into /inlcudes/modules/pages/product_info/header_php.php (it redirects one specific hard coded product to a new hard coded url)

The products display normally in a LIST (all products, new products, category etc) but when you click into the product (where the product info page would normally show) it redirects to the new url

Code:
    if($_GET['products_id'] == '1234') {

Header( "HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently" );
    Header( "Location: http://www.someothersite.com/someotherpart.html" );

}
    so can someone tell me if its possible to modify this hack to get zen cart to get the product_id and then redirected to the url specified in the 'TEXT_MORE_INFORMATION' ("For more information, please visit this products webpage." ) for that particular product_id

Every product_id will have a new url specified.