Plugin Contributions

Default Instant Payment Notification (IPN) history shows Failed

So I just got off the phone with PayPal and did a lot of reading on this forum.

I started getting emails from PayPal as pasted below. So I started digging with my Host and PayPal. I use PayPal Express and also Pal Website Payments Pro. All IPN info is posted correctly to my multiple stores. All payments post correctly to my PayPal as well. So what is my problem? It is that PayPal may turn off the IPN feature that I need if the Failed messages continue. I looked at the failed messages in the IPN History. I found out that the failed are all from using the terminal feature or Payment Requests that I sent occasionally to customers. Seems these transactions try to communicate with the url provided in the IPN settings on PayPal profile page. According to PayPal this can not be separated. Ether we have the errors or turn off IPN. Not making sense to me but it is the case. Do I have any other options? I believe not, but I wanted to post this so maybe other people save some time chasing down the same issue.

Subject: PayPal Instant Payment Notification Warning
    Hello,

Please check your server that handles PayPal Instant Payment Notifications (IPN). IPNs sent to the following URL(s) are failing:

https://www.xxxx.com /ipn_main_handler.php

If you do not recognize this URL, you may be using a service provider that is using IPN on your behalf. Please contact your service provider with the above information. If this problem continues, IPNs may be disabled for your account.

Thank you for your prompt attention to this issue.

Thanks,

PayPal
    Live and learn... the Zen way.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Instant Payment Notification (IPN) history shows Failed

I guess I'm a little confused. If you're using Paypal Express, why do you still have Paypal IPN enabled ?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Instant Payment Notification (IPN) history shows Failed

Quote Originally Posted by mydanilo View Post
    I found out that the failed are all from using the terminal feature or Payment Requests that I sent occasionally to customers. Seems these transactions try to communicate with the url provided in the IPN settings on PayPal profile page. According to PayPal this can not be separated. Ether we have the errors or turn off IPN. Not making sense to me but it is the case. Do I have any other options?
    Yes, all PayPal activity will trigger an IPN. And your ZC store should be able to handle all of those, filtering out which ones it doesn't need and discarding them when they don't relate to orders handled by the store.
    Just be sure that the URL you set in your PayPal account IPN settings actually points to the correct URL on your site, ie the ipn_main_handler.php file (in the proper folder at the proper URL and the proper protocol(http or https)).
    Quote Originally Posted by stevesh View Post
    I guess I'm a little confused. If you're using Paypal Express, why do you still have Paypal IPN enabled ?
    They're not talking about the "IPN Payment module" They're talking about the IPN feature that Paypal uses to tell stores about payments. While EC doesn't use those to record payments, it does use those to detect when pending payments are released and when refunds are triggered.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.