Plugin Contributions

help question Paypal questions & digital products

I have two questions. It's kind of urgent, as my customers are waiting for my shop to be ready to use!

First of all, I see a lot of recommendations to use Paypal Express over Paypal Payments Standard. Does Paypal Express have the option for people to pay without having a paypal account (cc/debit/etc) - like PP Standard does? Also, if I use Paypal Express, am I required to have SSL on my website?

Second, I ONLY have digital products in my shop. By default, PP Standard settings in the ZC admin has 'set order status' to 'Processing'. I need customers to be able to access their digital files after they have paid and PP brings them back to my shop. Should I set it to 'Delivered'? Would this mess things up if they pay by e-check through PP?

Thanks in advance!

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Paypal questions & digital products

Quote Originally Posted by meljen View Post
    First of all, I see a lot of recommendations to use Paypal Express over Paypal Payments Standard.
    Yes, EC is more reliable.
    Does Paypal Express have the option for people to pay without having a paypal account (cc/debit/etc) - like PP Standard does?
    Yes. Always has.
    More info found by searching for the topic via the FAQs section: http://www.zen-cart.com/content.php?...andard-express
    Also, if I use Paypal Express, am I required to have SSL on my website?
    As far as payment handling goes, SSL is not required on your site when only using PayPal Express Checkout. But for your customers' protection and peace of mind SSL is always a smart move for *every* online store.
    Second, I ONLY have digital products in my shop. By default, PP Standard settings in the ZC admin has 'set order status' to 'Processing'. I need customers to be able to access their digital files after they have paid and PP brings them back to my shop.
    By default, downloads are accessible whenever an order is set to "Processing" or "Delivered".
    Would this mess things up if they pay by e-check through PP?
    If a PayPal echeck hasn't cleared then the download will be left at "Pending" because payment hasn't been validated yet. It's not a matter of "messing things up". If you want your customers to download without actually making payment, you can set your module's pending status to "Processing" and then your downloads will be available to anyone.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Paypal questions & digital products

Thank you SO, SO much. I am very new to zen cart and have never had to set all of this up myself, so I am quite confused!

I think I am going to try to set up Paypal Express. I will return if I have issues with that.

Again thank you - Melissa