Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default how do I "test drive" addons?

I am getting my store and data in order to move to 1.5. I have only used templates to this point with some minor core edits of my own. However, I am very interested in several Plugins and I am wondering if there is anywhere I could "test drive" things like Super Orders, Edit Orders and the like.

Thanks!
    Chris

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Getting Ready to move to 1.5

Why don't you install a copy of v1.5 with the template you use etc to your PC using WAMP? Then simply copy the files and database as a fallback each time you try a new mod in your wamp version, that way you aren't messing with a live store.

Plugin Contributions

Well frankly that is a HECK OF A LOT WORK given that there are HOW MANY? plugins.

I was sort of hoping that someone had an example that I could look at. The descriptions work for a first pass review...but I want to see these in action and I literally do not have the time to install and test each one! lol Especially if i see that they won't work for what I am looking for.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by g2ktcf View Post
    things like Super Orders, Edit Orders and the like.
    So you want to 'test drive' EVERY mod? You only mentioned two in your original post...and the like.

Plugin Contributions

Especially if i see that they won't work for what I am looking for.
    What is it that you are looking for?

Plugin Contributions

That's just it....I am looking for any and all tools that can help me manage my business.

Even if its just small subsets of plugins we are talking dozens! If any developers are seeing this...would a test store for each mod be out of the question? Maybe not small mods but the larger ones? Or at lease examples of them being used. For me, I am sure I am more interested in Back Office type stuff today..but cross sell type stuff will be coming. Right now all you get is a text description of the mod.

Understand I am not being critical of anyone's effort...just exploring the options.

Plugin Contributions

I am sure I am more interested in Back Office type stuff today.
    http://www.zen-cart.com/downloads.php?do=cat&id=1
    I'm quite sure you would have already read through this list, but some of the contain links to working examples or even simply screen shots to give you a better idea.
    What is it that you wish to acheive that isnt already in the 'out the box' ZC?

Plugin Contributions

@g2

The addons for Zen are all provided by the 'community' . There is, in most cases, not a showcase site that demonstrates them.

However, I would strongly recommend that if you are in any way serious about your business building a development version of your site. Basically this will be a mirror image of your real site. My favourite way of doing this is to build it in a sub-domain and protect the sub-domain with a password so that no-one else can see it. But a LAMP version of it is a good idea too because it does make certain aspects of testing and possibly reverting to an earlier configuration a lot easier.

It may sound like a lot of work but it is a heck of a lot less work than messing up your site and loosing business and then having to rebuild from a back-up that you did at some point in the past. You did make a back up, right?

The more closely you can keep the development site and the real site synchronised the better. That is a bit of a chore sometimes. That way it behaves both as a testing ground and as a backup. As I say, it does sound like a lot of work but isn't that bad and it is just a good professional approach to your business and may save you a ton of heart-ache and grief. The thing is that when you use Zen, and any plugins, you are getting, for free, thousands and thousands of hours of development by skilled developers. Taking the time to build yourself a development site doesn't feel like too much commitment on your side of the bargain. If your not that serious about your business then there is no need ...

Oh, and the other thing that is worth mentioning is that a whole lot of information can be gathered from the read me files in the mods. I know that for both super orders and edit orders a lot of effort has gone into those. So it is worth reading them.
    Last edited by niccol; 13 Jul 2012 at 07:50 PM.

Plugin Contributions

We have a dedicated hosting account for all our trial stuff - on a non-public IP - so it requires adding the IP to your local machine's Host Accounts File in order to access that IP.

We have 40 to 50 installations of ZC on that server - all being used to test stuff.... templates, add-ons, bits of our own script...

We NEVER test on live sites.

We also do what niccol does... host a COPY of the site in a sub-domain (if the client requests it) password protected by a htaccess login. Here, the client can play about as much as they want to withour risking the live site. If they foul up, then we just restore a backup (our hosting service backs up servers every 6 hours and once can selectively restore folders/files).

Because every ZC site ends up being BESPOKE in its own right, it would be impractical to have a public "testing zone" for addons.

If you want to test addons, then you need your own test area.
    19 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Guys I have a duplicate of my site on my laptop and I use it for development whether that means modules or just testing possible template changes.

The question was not about TESTING A MODULE. It was about...."how do I know if this module helps my business or not". I was hoping for something like picaflor-azul's site where you can see what her templates look like. Heck, even a pdf file with "here is what this module does and how it works" would be great. Then, after I know it can help me...I can spend the effort to integrate that into both my changes and other Modules that have been added.

I know how the community works...its just the text description of some of the major add-ons leaves a lot to be desired. From what I have seen I am really on my own which is okay. I just means that I will have to have a specific need to justify the time to explore the add ons by installing them. That is something I was hoping to avoid.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast