Plugin Contributions

Default Block specific people from signing up

Okay, this is an unusual question (I think), but I'd like to block specific people from signing up, and set a custom error message for each person. Why? I am starting an adult website, and I would prefer to avoid selling adult items to my ex-fiance, who is likely to find out about this site due to an unfortunate downside to my advertising strategy. The downside is that she'll find the page, as I am going to be advertising to my friends, but not linking my name or personal info to the advertising in any way. I REALLY don't need to be seeing what my ex is ordering, and I have a few other people I want to block from signing up as well. I know this seems like an odd request, but my current girlfriend agrees that neither of us really want to come across that awkward order... The bonus is that I know her email addresses, and she has a rare name, so I won't be blanket banning thousands of people with the same name.

Excess details aside, is there a way to set something in the create_account.php file to block the sign up of her and the few others I want to block, both by name and/or by email address? I also want a custom message for each person, so I can set it to something no one else will understand except the person trying to sign up? I want to be able to drop a hint, without saying it outright, who runs the site and why they are being blocked from creating an account. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Block specific people from signing up

It's the most unusual question I've seen in my seven years here .

I'm not sure what your relationship is with your ex, nor why you don't want to sell her adult items, but there's no way to do what you want without considerable custom coding. If it's that important, you might post a request at http://www.zen-cart.com/helpwanted.

Also, you can ban people from accessing your site at all by banning their IP addresses (usually doable in your hosting account's control panel), but it won't work with people whose ISP accounts use dynamic IPs.
    Last edited by stevesh; 17 Aug 2012 at 11:09 AM.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Block specific people from signing up

Definitely not a common question! LOL

One approach you could take is to create an account for her, using her email address. And then in your Admin, mark the account as Banned. This will prevent her from logging into that account, and would make the password-reset feature useless as well.
    (Actually, you'd have to create an account using your (or a fake) email address, so that she doesn't get the Welcome email. Then in your admin, change the email address to be hers, so that the banning happens against the right email address.)

It doesn't give a customized-for-her "banned" message though. She'd see the generic friendly go-away message that banned accounts would see.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.