Plugin Contributions

help question Page not found when registering as a customer

I have tried searching for this but I can not seem to find any answers.

I have been setting up my site of the last week, using overrides for any changes I make. Today I decided to test out registering as customer for the first time and as I hit 'submit' I get a page not found error. Then tried logging in (even though there are no customers in my database) and as soon as I hit 'login' I get the same page not found error.

My login page is siamsterling.worthowning.com/index.php?main_page=login

I would appreciate any advice.

Note: this is a fresh install of 1.50

Thank you

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Page not found when registering as a customer

Quote Originally Posted by jackdeth View Post
    I would appreciate any advice.

Note: this is a fresh install of 1.50
    It may be because I'm a little tired, but this one is a mystery to me.

The login and create account links on the page appear to be valid, so it *should* work. About the only thing I can think of is you have some kind or URL rewriting going on that is pointing to a non existant page.

Check to see if you have an .htaccess file in the toot folder of your store, and if so, temporarily rename/remove it to see if the problem goes away.

Another thing to try is to revert back to the 'classic' template to see if that cures the problem.

Lets us know your results.

Cheers
    Rod

Plugin Contributions

Thank You for your reply.

I had forgotten to mention that I had already tried the Classic Template with the same results.

I just tried to rename the .htaccess file .. but I am still getting the page not found issue ...

Quote Originally Posted by RodG View Post
    It may be because I'm a little tired, but this one is a mystery to me.

The login and create account links on the page appear to be valid, so it *should* work. About the only thing I can think of is you have some kind or URL rewriting going on that is pointing to a non existant page.

Check to see if you have an .htaccess file in the toot folder of your store, and if so, temporarily rename/remove it to see if the problem goes away.

Another thing to try is to revert back to the 'classic' template to see if that cures the problem.

Cheers
    Rod

Plugin Contributions

So here is something a bit troubling.

I decided to do a fresh install in a new subdomain, with the intent of copying over my changes to see if I can figure out what may have caused the problem.

Immediately after the install was complete I tried to register as a new user and was directed to the page not found message.
    http://sterlingsilver.worthowning.co...ain_page=login

Am I missing a step to activate registration?

Plugin Contributions

One thing I notice is that every time I click a link on your site, the session id changes to a new one . Also there is no session cookie being written to my pc

Plugin Contributions

I really don't know what could be causing that.

I wonder if my problems are caused by incorrect settings on my hosting. I wouldn't know what to check.

I am using Godaddy and installed Zen Cart using their Application Management which checks for compatibility (for instance it caught that my PHP version was outdated) If Godaddy's setup wasn't good I would think there would have been others with this same problem posting here though.

Quote Originally Posted by Design75 View Post
    One thing I notice is that every time I click a link on your site, the session id changes to a new one . Also there is no session cookie being written to my pc

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by jackdeth View Post
    If Godaddy's setup wasn't good I would think there would have been others with this same problem posting here though.
    Perhaps you should do a search for 'goDaddy' in these forums. They are littered with all sorts of weird complaints that are unique to GD. Admittedly yours is one of the more unusual ones that I've come across, but nothing really surprises me when it comes to GoDaddy hosting.
    Furthermore their installation scripts are flawed and should be avoided, but even if they did work correctly you should never ever use any automated script for upgrades.

My advice. Do a manual install and/or find a better host.

Cheers
    Rod

Plugin Contributions

Ok, I was able to fix the problem, although I am not completely sure what was causing it.

My gut feeling was that it was related to permissions, My hosting plan was using windows so I decided to convert it to Linux.
    Godaddy handled the transition beautifully in 2 hours with everything kept intact.
    The only thing I had to manually edit was /catalog/includes/configure.php to change my hosting path from windows style to linux (D:\.... to /host/...)
    Now everything seems to be working. I can register and login without issue.

Plugin Contributions

I just wanted to add a post mortem for anyone who finds this thread due to having a similar problem.

While my site was working fine after converting my hosting plan to linux, my admin page would only show as blank.
    After researching 'blank page' solutions here I decided it would be far easier to work with a fresh install.

First I setup a sub domain. Then I did a fresh install of Zen cart. Imported the database from the original site. Finally I copied over my custom template.
    Everything was working perfectly. So I wiped the install on my original setup and repeated the above steps and things have been working great since.

Although it would have been nice to figure out the blank page issue, moving the site between domains was a good learning experience and now I can feel confident if I ever have to rebuild again.