Plugin Contributions

Default Using Multiple Manufacturers

Hi There,

I need to store multiple manufacturers for a single product and then recall them individually in the Manufacturers search.

For example:

Product XYZ was made by John Smith, Debra Waters, Jane Doe.

I need to be able to assign Product XYZ to all three of them without creating a manufacturer named "John Smith, Debra Waters, Jane Doe" and without duplicating the product 3 times.

THEN

On the store front, when you select John Smith, Product XYZ will appear, same with when you select Debra Waters and Jane Doe.

I figure that I can have the Manufacturers select in the admin side show as a combo box rather than a drop down and store the multiple manufacturers as an array, then plug it into the SQL database upon saving the product, however how would I then call each individual person and Product XYZ on the store front?

is there an easier way of doing this? A module perhaps?

Thanks!

Justyn

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Using Multiple Manufacturers

I created a categories branch called manufacturers where I have the product families of each provider/manufacturer structured in a logical way.
    I used a new sidebox as a "manufacturers" sidebox, replacing the original one, and providing a similar dropdown pointing at this category root. Example in my site www dot motorvista dot es/tienda

Why? To display those subcategories logical product families instead of a single list of all the products of that manufacturer, as the default manufacturers sidebox does.

If you want to share a single product between these manufacturers-categories you can in this structure.

Still, in the product definition you can only assign one "real" manufacturer or you could leave it blank, or create a "Shared" one and then stuff some logic in the places where this "real" manufacturers info is used, like the manufacturers_info sidebox.
    Steve
    github.com/torvista: Spanish Language Pack, Google reCaptcha, Structured Data, Multiple Copy-Move-Delete, Image Checker, BackupMySQL Admin/Auto...

Plugin Contributions

I wanted to avoid doing another category or attribute etc. It's a rather messy way of dealing with a simplistic issue.

Any other solutions?

I may have time this weekend to sit down and hash out the code... if I do, perhaps I will add it as a contribute.

Plugin Contributions

Anyone have suggestions?