Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Contact Us feature no longer works

Hello,

I have a new problem that came up. I'm not exactly sure when this happened, but I don't believe I have modified any related files that would have caused this problem.
    What happens is that when you go to our "Contact Us" page and fill in the form & hit "Send," a message says that it was sent successfully. However, nothing comes through to that email address. I know if worked when I initially set the site up. I had tested it a few times before we went "live."

The email address has the same domain as the website. "smtpauth" is set as the method in Admin. "Send emails" is "true." The site is hosted on a Godaddy server, and the path I am using is "smtpout.secureserver.net." The port I have is "80." The password is set correctly.

What I have done to troubleshoot is to try every other method (PHP, sendmail, etc.), resetting the password on Godaddy and in the Zencart admin, tried a different port, tried a different path ( I tried the path & method I saw in an Email troubleshooting article on this site). Even if I purposely put bad password in the Admin area, the tests still say that the contact us form was "sent successfully." In fact, no matter what settings I use it never gives an error on the website.

I also tried a test purchase, and it automatically emailed me like normal, so that works. I also tried using the Contact Us form while logged in as a customer, and it still didn't work.

I called Godaddy and did some troubleshooting with them, and they say there is nothing getting sent to their server while submitting the form, and nothing is going to any "spam" folder. They don't see any errors on their end, so of course they say it's a ZenCart problem. I also tried disabling the Contact Us page and re-enabling it, and still nothing helped.

I would try restoring a file from a backup, if I knew exactly which file to restore. I looked at includes/languages/english/contact_us.php, but didn't see any problems there.

Does anyone have any suggestions, please?

Thank you much,
    jp

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Contact Us feature no longer works

The files specifically associated with the contact_us page are:

/includes/languages/english/contact_us.php (and the version in /includes/languages/english/YOUR_TEMPLATE, if you've modified the text)
    /includes/modules/pages/contact_us/header_php.php
    /includes/templates/template_default/templates/tpl_contact_us_default.php (and the version in /includes/templates/YOUR_TEMPLATE/templates, if you've made modifications)

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for responding. I tried restoring all those files from my first backup of the site I did, before I made any changes. It still says the message was sent successfully, but nothing comes through to the Inbox.
    Here is what I have set in the Admin configuration (the relevant info):

Title Value Action
    E-Mail Transport Method smtpauth
    E-Mail Linefeeds LF
    Use MIME HTML When Sending Emails false
    Send E-Mails true
    Email Archiving Active? false
    E-Mail Friendly-Errors true
    Email Address (Displayed to Contact you) [email protected]
    Email Address (sent FROM) [email protected]
    Emails must send from known domain? Yes
    Email Admin Format? TEXT
    Set "Contact Us" Email Dropdown List [email protected]
    Contact Us - Show Store Name and Address 1
    SMTP Email Account Mailbox [email protected]
    SMTP Email Account Password *********
    SMTP Email Mail Host smtpout.secureserver.net
    SMTP Email Mail Server Port 80

Thanks,
    jp

Plugin Contributions

SMTP Email Mail Server Port 80

Probably incorrect. SMTP is generally on port 25 (or 587).

You'll need to confirm this with your host though. Either way, port 80 almost certainly won't work on any system, as this is reserved for HTTP not SMTP.

Cheers
    Rod

Shoot. I just realised you are with GoDaddy... All bets are off.

Plugin Contributions

Can't say your hosting will be the same, but about a year ago, I had a client using GoDaddy and ran into a number of caveats with email. The client was NOT using Zen Cart - just straight PHP.

1) Using a GoDaddy email address, we were unable to use SMTP. The solution for my client was to use sendmail (with from known domain) and making sure the from header was set to the correct email address (alternatively we were able to use SMTPAUTH via their "relay" server through gmail).
    2) On GoDaddy hosts, typically you are rate limited for email sending from PHP. If you exceed the number allowed they may drop messages (rare unless your account is hijacked or VERY active).
    3) They also tend to "hold" your mail for 15-30 minutes and send out your email in "batches". So they will report "success" but the email may not have been sent from their servers, just received and placed into the "queue".
    4) I can tell you some of the emails sent by my client's forms took 4-8 hours to be received by hotmail and gmail accounts (only a handful). So... if you have not already, you may want to check and see if those emails just arrived late.
    Last edited by lhungil; 3 Dec 2012 at 02:29 PM.
    The glass is not half full. The glass is not half empty. The glass is simply too big!
    Where are the Zen Cart Debug Logs? Where are the HTTP 500 / Server Error Logs?
    Zen Cart related projects maintained by lhûngîl : Plugin / Module Tracker

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

http://www.zen-cart.com/wiki/index.p...Email_Problems - especially note the GoDaddy settings, since that's your current host
    http://www.zen-cart.com/wiki/index.p...Of_Lost_Emails

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks all, for the replies! :-)

Here's the update:
    I tried Port 25 (along with every Transport Option), no luck.
    I checked the max number of transmissions per day, and it was set at 250.
    Waited several hours, nothing comes through.
    I called GoDaddy, and they again say there is nothing in the queue, and nothing is "bouncing off" their servers.
    I'll try the "Email Archive Manager" tool tomorrow.

Sales email confirmations are still getting sent to users.
    Auto-emails are also getting sent to the email address above, whenever I make any changes to the Admin/configuration settings.

Plugin Contributions

OK, I installed the Email Archive manager (in Dr Byte's first link), and enabled it. Nothing shows up in there after sending test messages in the Contact Us form.

Plugin Contributions

A link to your site might help us help you ...

Plugin Contributions

Have you tried using a different setting for Set "Contact Us" Email Dropdown List? For example just blanking out this setting in the admin? (probably not related, but you really do not need to set this if it is the same as the store email).
    The glass is not half full. The glass is not half empty. The glass is simply too big!
    Where are the Zen Cart Debug Logs? Where are the HTTP 500 / Server Error Logs?
    Zen Cart related projects maintained by lhûngîl : Plugin / Module Tracker

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast